Car shuts off when put into R or D

CarbedUp

Reaction score
Just in gears like reverse, drive, 1, or 2.

It doesn't make that clunky sound in park or neutral.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Sounds like an internal trans prob.

I mean, it's coming when your in gear, even when your not moving, right?

CarbedUp

Reaction score
Sounds like an internal trans prob.

I mean, it's coming when your in gear, even when your not moving, right?

Yep.

My friend actually test drove it with the clunky noise for like a minute before the car stalled. Started up fine and put in Drive. It stalls. It stalls a couple more times until the 4 try and finally made it back to the driveway.

Um so..I have a 276k miles '97 Honda Accord LX with a f22B2 engine that's not running.

Can I use the tranny from the 5th gen Accord and transplant into the F23A5 engine. I was reading online about it and I wanted to make sure it is interchangeable.

briansan

Reaction score
This seems like alotta effort for a car thats in its twilight mileage...tranny swaps are quite an expensive endeavor to go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarbedUp

Reaction score
This seems like alotta effort for a car thats in its twilight mileage...tranny swaps are quite an expensive endeavor to go on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

Well...the tranny is out on the driveway. The case is caked with black grease. Mechanic friend removed the torque converter and out came metal shavings? Is that normal? There was also metal shavings on the tranny drain bolt.

CarbedUp

Reaction score

Yikes.

Here's pics:

Day 1

fIvgJHb.jpg

6FpCr1q.jpg

Removed this black thing. Done for the day.

2AdQzqe.jpg

Day 2

Look at those jacks under there. My Integra chillin' in the background.

H5P2diJ.jpg

3JcCk2w.jpg

VlbLcdG.jpg

DOJcqOV.jpg

jpL5cPt.jpg

CV bootS are ripped on passenger and driver side

Ic0y2Dm.jpg

ffsf2JJ.jpg

2UcSv0t.jpg

44JgxZH.jpg

This tranny is filthy. Not trying to be punny

BH8wGaT.jpg

j877JOF.jpg

What I need to do is probably change torque converter, replace rear main seal, replace axles on both sides, put in oil, ATF, coolant+ anti-freeze, replace heater hoses that has become really soft and squishy.

What else should I check and/or replace?

RawCarnage

Reaction score
hmm well i dont know if you should continue using that tranny, the fact that there was metal shaving on the tranny bolt doesnt sound too good. but i would wait till someone more experienced to say something before you put everything back together.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah, any trans fluid that has metal, it probly came from the trans, or ruined something in it.

You gotta tear down trans and look, ib a clutch caused it, maybe 2nd gear. If the tq converter ON it (not in it) that's a whole new series of probs.

In that case, expect a used to be ~1/2 the price of new, equal standards rebuilt with 1/2 of 1/2 way used miles.

Back