car shuts off while driving?!

xmsleepr

Reaction score
So my cars shut off 5 times this week while driving is become more and more frequent twice today...its an F23 5MT so the first 2 times I just second guessed myself wheather I had stalled it out or not but then it did it while driving just stop accelerating I look down the engines dead.
I searched and don't think its the main relay because then the car wouldn't juost start right back up and I've resoldered 2main relays before always have to wait a few minutes before they turn back on...
I have no CELs tuneup this past summer I don't want it shutting off on my in the hwy and not turning back on.

kn0x47

Reaction score
there was a recall on the ignition switches for our car. check to see if yours needs it. also check for oil around the bottom of your distributor. if oil gets in there it'll shut off and not wanna come back on for a while

truWarier02

Reaction score
I have a 4AT but it still happens to me sometimes. It shuts off but not abruptly like stalling with an MT. All the lights in the cluster will come on, sort of like when you turn the key the second time before starting the car. But I've always been able to just come to a complete stop, put it back in park, and start it back up with no problems. Happened to me numerous times on the freeway but during traffic, luckily.

Usually happens when I tap the throttle and let it go quickly at creeping speeds. Then again, I need to clean out my throttle body to fix my low idle issue. I did my ignition recall over a year ago, btw.

xmsleepr

Reaction score
Back when I first got the car over a year ago I saw a thread on that ignition recall thing and I remember concluding mines wasn't affected...ill look for it and check again...
The car comes right back on tho that's the thing its like I just have to turn thee key back and on again since its manual it will just come back on...the 3rd time it happend I held the clutch in cranked it on and put it in 3rd kept going never even stopped I feel like the cluster doesn't fully light up when it happens tho the maintance light comes on and aa couple others but not the whole dash like when the key is on but car is off...

jpez24

Reaction score
its the main relay my friend..just purshased a 01 accord and the car was doing the same thing and at first i didnt think it was the relay either..was drivin me crazy...would randomly die ..then turn right back on..changed distributor..ignition switch..still did it..didnt even drive it cus i was scared of it shutting off on the highway...finally changed the main relay cus it was the only thing left and the honda dealer told me more than likley that was the problem and sure enuff it never did it again..been driving it for over a month..a hour to work everyday with no problems.. it used to die on me almost everyday..at least once a day

xmsleepr

Reaction score
i havent done anything thanks to this wonderful storm we have on the way here in new england but im going with the ignition switch...I ran my VIN on myhonda and says the ignition recall has been fixed...i opened my ignition column and found something really dissapointing :/ the little black cover that goes over the wires on the ignition switch was cracked off and the ignition switch itself was only held with 1 screw and the wires appear to have been soldered from the outside either someone tried to fix it once before or those are really ugly solders from factory....

Back