Car won't go above 20mph

iReno

Reaction score
My sister has a '96 accord and the car has never had a major issue but today we were driving and after stopping at a stop light, the car would not accelerate past 20 even when you floor it. We pulled over after trying multiple times to accelerate and shut the car off and tried starting it back up and it wouldn't start. After sitting a while it finally started and we were able to make it home (going above 20 mph.)

Visually everything is fine such as the cable to the gas pedal, hoses, etc.

Has anyone had this issue? Any help is much appreciated.

iReno

Reaction score
It sounded fine, it wasn't studdering or anything like that, it just wouldn't go past 20 no matter what we tried. And then when it wouldn't start it would crank fine and there was no abnormal sounds but it just wouldn't fully start up

james'99

Reaction score
It sounded fine, it wasn't studdering or anything like that, it just wouldn't go past 20 no matter what we tried. And then when it wouldn't start it would crank fine and there was no abnormal sounds but it just wouldn't fully start up

Check the condition of the throttle cable as a whole when you operate it inside the car. I had a problem with the throttle cable pulling through its I guess outside we will call it and the car wouldn't move. Cable was shot and needed to be replaced. This was on a '95 Accord by the way.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Check on a 5thgen forum to see if anyone has had a problem exactly like yours. Jordan_H and RussianRed have/had CD's, so maybe they have some input.

james'99

Reaction score
Edited my last post. Forgot to mention when the cable had pulled through, that was not my car but an acquaintance's '95 Accord.

kn0x47

Reaction score
take the secondary o2 sensor out of the catalytic converter or remove the cat then see if the car will accelerate quicker. If it does then you'll know the cat is clogged. you can reset the CEL afterwards by disconnecting the battery for a while

james'99

Reaction score
take the secondary o2 sensor out of the catalytic converter or remove the cat then see if the car will accelerate quicker. If it does then you'll know the cat is clogged. you can reset the CEL afterwards by disconnecting the battery for a while

Well, I feel like it will accelerate faster regardless, no? Haha!

Back