Car wont start

1998Accord

Reaction score
i didnt drive my car for a week, and I get back from school and it just makes that clicks when you turn the key. I thought maybe I had just left a light on but my batter was full charged. so does anyone have any idea what else it could be? Starter maybe?

acedomain

Reaction score
check your fuses and still have the battery tested in like autozone if you have another car to make it their also have you ever change the cables that go to the battery the grounds to be more exact because mine had to be changed when my car wouldnt start .....i might be wrong but this is my .02 about it this what i would do if it was me....

finch13

Reaction score
How do you know the battery is fully charged?

Those clicks are the sound of relays not being able to hold themselves closed because the voltage is too low.

I bet the battery is dead and if it's over 5 years old I'd replace it. You could have a parasitic draw with the key off. Hook up an ammeter inline to the battery negative cable. If there is a current draw larger than ~50mA with the key off and doors closed/interior lights off, you have a parasitic draw.

purpleaccord

Reaction score
sound click like you got lose on battery terminal, try double check both terminal may be one of them get dirt bc you drive it one week. and see what happen.

cl206

Reaction score
If you have a basic digital multimeter, it is very easy to check if the battery is fully charged.

With the engine off,
set to VDC20 and touch the red clip to the positive post and the black to the negative. You should get 12.5 to 12.8 for a fully charged battery.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
If you have a basic digital multimeter, it is very easy to check if the battery is fully charged.

With the engine off,
set to VDC20 and touch the red clip to the positive post and the black to the negative. You should get 12.5 to 12.8 for a fully charged battery.

Or you can just turn on your lights or something else. :jae:

cl206

Reaction score
Or you can just turn on your lights or something else. :jae:
One time I left my head light and radio on in my MDX for like 5 minutes with a five year old battery (engine off) and the car wouldn't start. The lights would still come on and the radio as well but it wouldn't start until someone gave me a jump. From that experience, isn't it possible for the battery to not be fully charged or low/weak and the lights or radio to still be on? In other words, just because your headlight and/or radio works doesn't necessarily mean the battery is fully charged. It does obviously mean the battery isn't completely dead.
How did the OP know his battery was fully charged? Sometimes the battery has enough juice to turn the lights on but not enough to start the engine. In my case the jump start worked but my battery did turn out to be bad and I had it replaced.

Last edited:
Back