Catalytic Converter Help!!!

Ric Rock

Reaction score
Are there any pro or cons to getting an aftermarket cat converter? Can anyone recommend any good brands to consider and also please if you can recommend some to stay away from. I live out in California so please keep in mind that its legal for my neck of the woods.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Getting a magnaflow highflow catalytic converter is very good. You get the performance that you would from having just a plain straight pipe without sacrificing emissions regulation and quiet sound. The aftermarket cat will still be louder but not as loud as it would be if you removed the cat.

I don't know about california though. I just know everything you install must be carb exempt which is quite gay.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since you're in cali...random technology or magnaflow are probably your only choices.

Ric Rock

Reaction score
I just checked up on magnaflow and it turns out its not carb exempt, I was seriously close to getting it because it was fairy priced. :( Random techonology? i dont know much about that company I'll do some research on the company and its products. Anything else i should know about cat coverters before getting it?

Ric Rock

Reaction score
Getting a magnaflow highflow catalytic converter is very good. You get the performance that you would from having just a plain straight pipe without sacrificing emissions regulation and quiet sound. The aftermarket cat will still be louder but not as loud as it would be if you removed the cat.

I don't know about california though. I just know everything you install must be carb exempt which is quite gay.

So your saying that by adding the cat converter i will have louder engine/exhaust sounds also? Does anyone have the number for hp gain gained by doing a cat converter?

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I haven't actually compared the sounds between the stock cat and the aftermarket cat. I'm actually just making an assumption because it's an aftermarket performance product, part of the I/H/E process. Any aftermarket I/H/E mod usually makes sound, that's why. I'm not too sure about HP gains, try googling it. My guess would be 5hp complete maximum you would get if you're really lucky.

SouthStar019

Reaction score
So your saying that by adding the cat converter i will have louder engine/exhaust sounds also? Does anyone have the number for hp gain gained by doing a cat converter?

you wount gain any hp. you'd be freeing up some hp from the better flow. kinda like adding a UDP. not adding any hp. just freeing up so more of it can do to the wheels.

cat converter. greatest invension ever in the history of mankind.

csmiths98AV6

Reaction score
man that sucks for cali ppl i just gutted my cat out and used the old spark plug defouler trick to pass emissions, but since you have to have one def go with random technology, but they are like 300 dollars, so if its worth it for you then do it.

SouthStar019

Reaction score
man that sucks for cali ppl i just gutted my cat out and used the old spark plug defouler trick to pass emissions, but since you have to have one def go with random technology, but they are like 300 dollars, so if its worth it for you then do it.

hey fellow v6p'er. thats some ghetto sheet. but you passed. hahaha

Back