CEL after swap help!

PHAT97EX

Reaction score
I did a 5 speed swap in my 2000 Ulev with a tranny and ecm from a 99 non-ulev. I found a DIY to get CEL light out due to primary O2 sensor. I swapped sensors,manifolds,etc and followed DIY but still have light on. It's my understanding the Vtec will not work with light on. Im at a dead end. Can someone PLEASE HELP!!

jwong512

Reaction score
It's probably your ECU considering you went from ULEV to a non ULEV ecu. Get the proper ecu and it should be running fine. Also, the O2 sensor for the non ULEV ones are different as well.

dv8801

Reaction score
When I swapped out my wife's ulev for a non ulev motor. Since the ecu i was using was the ulev. I used the ulev harness exhaust manifold and ulev primary o2 and no check engine light. Should work vice versa.

PHAT97EX

Reaction score
Yeah I changed the primary O2 sensor,manifold, and still had CEL. I have not swapped the engine wiring harness tho. The ECM in it now is non-Ulev 5 speed. I'm wondering if I really have to use an ECM from a 2000 Ulev 5 speed?

jwong512

Reaction score
Yes, because the ULEV one uses a wideband O2 sensor whereas the regular motors just use a regular O2 sensor. If you run the wrong ECU with the wrong O2 sensor, it will not run properly and throw codes.

PHAT97EX

Reaction score
When I swapped I used the non-ulev ecm along with the non-ulev O2 sensor and still have CEL. For the hell of it I even swapped the secondary sensor and tried the Ulev O2 sensor and still have a light. I'm wondering if its a harness thing. I was told its way easier to repin and I've done that too with no luck.

Back