CEL Codes Help

finch13

Reaction score
You have a 2 mufflers in that puppy, taking the cat out won't increase the noise all that much.

Hovjm23

Reaction score
I'll give it a try, shouldn't be too expensive.

Some final questions:

What brand of test pipe should I get, and does it matter?

If I replace my cat with the pipe, the OBD code will stay on. How would I go about tricking the ECU into thinking that nothing's wrong? Does your first post about defoulers apply to test pipes?

From my understanding, the VSS is located towards the back of the engine, somewhere near the thermostat or something? I'm not exactly sure where it is.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate this.

finch13

Reaction score
Go to an exhaust shop and have them make you one, that's probably cheapest. It's just a chunk of aluminized exhaust pipe with 2 flanges welded on. No need to get fancy.

You will need to do the non-fouler trick to get the code off. That trick applies to everything pertaining to secondary O2 sensors, unless the sensor itself is bad.

If you find the thermostat housing, go about 12 inches straight down. It's right there on top of the tranny.

Hovjm23

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and completed phase 1 of my comprehensive repair. I removed the cat and installed the test pipe. The car's performance is back to normal for the most part, but I really can't stand the smell.

It has gotten to the point where I sometimes have to drive with my windows up. It's terrible lol..

But it only cost me $45 for everything at a local shop.

Back