Clicking sound coming from one of the front wheels

factorviii

Reaction score
When I start up my car and either put it into reverse to back out of a drive way or put it in first then break quickly I hear a loud clicking/cracking sound coming from the front of the car. It only happens when I first start the car and brake or go in reverse. After that I never hear it. Only happens about 60% of the time

I recently replaced the front brakes so I'm thinking it might be the break pad going up against the caliper (forgot to put the grease on)

Also ..
When I first start the car and go in reverse or drive for 5-15 seconds then go in reverse sometimes a loud clunk comes from the motor/transmission and the car jerks. It never used to happen so I'm thinking its the mounts but I replaced them about 15k miles ago.
Happens about 40% of the time
Any ideas?

619rcr

Reaction score
If it just started happening, re-check all the bolts you removed for brakes. Also check your lug nuts. After that start looking for something in suspension area. Push down on the corners of the car one at a time and listen for the noise. Report back on what you find for more help.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Guessing it's caliper related. Check the caliper bolts to make sure they are tight, and if that's not it check the seating of the pads.

If you were hearing a constant clicking I'd say check your axles, but since you don't hear it while driving it's not that.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Tranny is having issues, and you should prepare accordingly.

Shifts are supposed to be smooth throughout.

Sounds like something may be loose with the calipers. The pads should be fine, I don't think it's possible to install those wrong.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Probably one of the below...
-Brake pad retainer clips were not tightened/bend in to tightly hug the new pads and are allowing the pads to shim up when you go in reverse and when they fall back down you hear your click.
-You did not tighten the caliper/bracket bolts properly to 54(caliper) and 80(bracket) lb/ft or maybe mixed the position of the pins. The pin with the bushing on the end goes on top.
-One of your axles has developed a slightly increased in/out play(most likely driver side) and will eventually need to be replaced

As for the transmission, keep on top of fluid drain and fills with oem atfdw1 once a year at least. It's normal to feel it go in reverse, as long as it is not a delayed engagement after you've selected R. To minimize the thud/jolt you feel when you park your car shift to neutral; pull the ebrake and let the ebrake hold the car without holding the foot brakes; get back on the foot brakes and shift to park and go about your day. When you come back again shift to your desired gear and then lower the ebrake.

Last edited:

factorviii

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to check the brake calipers on saturday to make sure I reassembled everything right.

factorviii

Reaction score
So it turns out it was the retainer clip for the brake pad, there was play between the pad and clip. I tightened it up with pliers and now the pad doesn't move around.

Thanks again everyone

001Stunna

Reaction score
So it turns out it was the retainer clip for the brake pad, there was play between the pad and clip. I tightened it up with pliers and now the pad doesn't move around.

Thanks again everyone

Good job on getting it fixed. Those clips usually need some bending when you do a brake job to make sure they hug the pads tightly.

Back