Clutch Burning?!

gswarriorsluvr

Reaction score
I noticed this smell before my stock clutch went out the first time. I had it replaced with an Exedy Stage 1 clutch 4 months ago, now I smell a hint or burntness. I drive pretty kosher - no more than 4k rpms, rarely over. Are there any cases where it would burn? Around what rpm? If you drive it hard in one case, would it somehow put the clutch out of alignment?

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
i don't own a manual so i'm not going to claim to be an authority on clutches, but i've had to deal with them on bikes quite a bit. how much do you usually let the clutch slip when you're pulling out? "easy driving" where you slip the clutch a lot from a stop can wear one down pretty quick depending on to what extent

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
How long do you let the clutch slip before complete engagement
I would say anymore than 3 seconds before a complete engagement is too long

gswarriorsluvr

Reaction score
3 second rule, good rule to follow. Sometimes I get passengers that complain about the transitions/shifts so I compensate by trying to ease/slip the clutch in so the ride is smooth. I hadn't realize that I was doing a number on the clutch.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
u mean letting the clutch off slowly (more than 3 secs) will kill the clutch? damn... never knew tht... mine smells burnt when i do a half-hill using the clutch and gas only

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
DarkSideAccord said:
u mean letting the clutch off slowly (more than 3 secs) will kill the clutch? damn... never knew tht... mine smells burnt when i do a half-hill using the clutch and gas only

Occasoinally, it's not bad. But if it's continuously done, it can prematurely shorten the life of a clutch disc. Remember, the clutch is a wearable item just like brake pads.

Back