Codes Galore!

joeygkb

Reaction score
Okay so here's the deal. Thursday I got into my car and started it. It stalled. This happens from time to time because the idle air control is clogged and I just haven't gotten the time to clean it out and replace the seal. I turned the engine over again and gave it a little gas for about 30 seconds, and it ran fine. Later that day, I got in, turned it on, went to drive away, and the transmission just wouldn't give me second gear. The D4 light didn't flash, but the check engine light did. I gave it some gas and it just wouldn't shift upward until it tried to get into 3rd, and it was able to. I got nervous and pulled over, shut off the car and let it set for about 10 minutes. Got in, turned it on, and everything was perfect again, except I still had my check engine light on. When it was trying to change gears, it sounded like when you almost stall a manual car, how it doesn't really catch and you're still on the clutch so it moves a little but really doesn't start going the speed it should.

I took it by Autozone yesterday to have my codes pulled and I got cylinders 1, 2, and 3 misfire as well as random misfires, O2 sensor, mass airflow sensor and EGR valve. I just cleaned the EGR value and yes I had the battery unplugged when I did that. My buddy at Autozone told me that my coils have gone bad. Yeah, because all 6 coils are going to just randomly go bad one day. When I was talking to him, I realized something I had done that was stupid. When I cleaned the EGR valve, I broke a bolt. Everything seemed to go back fine and I didn't think that I had anything to worry about. I told the guy at Autozone about this and he told me that it probably was causing all of these problems, even the transmission. So he told me to spray some household cleaner on the spot where the bolt broke and see if any air is getting into the manifold. So yesterday I sprayed some carb cleaner on the spot and the idle speed didn't change at all. So I'm guessing no air is getting in there?

Any ideas?

Miami_CG2

Reaction score
Did u have the CEL prior to all this happening?

Something sorta similar happen to my dads 2000 accord ex v6 about a month ago. He got a bunch of codes randomly and the trans didn't want to shift. It ended up being his alternator. We replaced it and problem solved. Try checking your alternator, its worth a shot.

joeygkb

Reaction score
Actually really interesting you said that. The guy at Autozone pointed out that I had a junkyard alternator in and told me I was stupid for doing so. On top of that, I noticed the check engine light would dim in and out yesterday depending on the throttle position. Definitely worth checking out! I'll keep you updated.

Back