coilover custom spring rate analysis...

Reaction score
I've got a question concerning custom spring rates. Is there a difference between getting coilovers with 12kg/mm and then having them customized to a decreased 10kg/mm as opposed to having 8kg/mm coilovers customized to an increased 10kg/mm?

I know the kg/mm result in the same amount however doesn't this have to do something with changes in percentage?

There is 16.7% change when going from 12kg/mm to 10kg/mm. ((12 minus 10) then divided by 12)

AND

There is 25% change when going from 8kg/mm to 10kg/mm. ((10 minus 8) then divided by 8)

Is this correct?

nyknick1015

Reaction score
well when i asked the question to several companies like megan and apexi, you cant go more than 2-3 kg under the original spring rate becuase the strut is valved to have that 2kg margin... either 2kg stiffer or 2kg softer....

i ur question, i guess there wouldnt be much of a difference besides softer for 12 to 10 and stiffer for 8 to 10... percentage is gonna be different because you are starting off with different denominators so i dont think percentage is gonna matter whethher its 16% softer or 25% stiffer... if you want to talk numbers, for this you would have to get a universal denominator like x becasue the rates are consistent with in the spring... (sorry math nerd)

but back to the mechanics... i was told the rates go according to how the strut is valved

Reaction score
so what if the strut is valved for a greater spring rate and I go lower, say from 12kg/mm to 10kg/mm what is the effect on stiffness?

AND

what if the strut is valved for a lower spring rate and I go higher, say from 8kg/mm up to 10kg/mm what is the effect on stiffness?

nyknick1015

Reaction score
if the strut is valved for the stiffer spring...most likely it would have a higher rebound rate than the softer spring. and vise versa if you change the spring rate maybe it would feel like something in between like an 11 or a 9kg... lol

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
if strut is valved too differently than what the spring's rate will be, there's the possibiliy to prematurely blowing your shocks.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

IcyAccord

Reaction score
basically the higher the spring rate, the stiffer the ride will be.

Andy, that's not necessarily true, but not ruling out what you said. Dampening and valving also play a HUGE role to determine how stiff the coilovers will be.

When I had my old AMRs, it was a very very very stiff ride (13k/7k). After about a couple months, I helped my friend install his KSports and went for a ride in his car.. it was so damn soft on full stiff, it was unbelievable. Now you figure, why some coilovers blow out more than others, poor construction AND it being under dampened. (i.e. KSPORTS mainly, you'd hear of them blowing out)

Last edited:

nyknick1015

Reaction score
^^^ what he said...

and you dont want to go down in spring rate often because then it would cause the damper to work more and more wear and tear meaning it would blow faster....

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. I would've made a big mistake. Forums rock!:omgbd:

I am not going to get the tanabe s-oc and increase the spring rates to 10kg/mm and 6kg/mm (8kg/mm & 4kg/mm) nor will I get the ksports and decrease the rates to 10kg/mm and 6kg/mm (from 12kg/mm & 7kg/mm).

I am either going to go with Buddy Club Racing Spec with 10kg/mm front 6kg/mm. No pillowball uppermounts, 15 levels of dampening +4kg/mm -4kg/mm and height adjust.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1348650&postid=18958452

and

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/sus-tech/66649-buddy-club-racing-spec-dampers-my-review.html

OR

With the JIC Magic FLT-TAR A2 coilovers with 9kg/mm front and 6kg/mm rear. Upper pillowball mounts, with 15 levels of dampening, height adjust.

here is a link to their site:

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=33&AC=1&CarModelID=4&CarMakeID=2#AC

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've checked the product reviews section of this forum and some others, including google and only found the reviews above worth citing. Does anyone have anything to say about Buddy Club Racing Spec coilovers or JIC Magic FLT-TAR A2 coilovers? Do you guys know anyone with these on their 98-02 accords (or any other cars)?

TY.

(Hopefully more reviews will be posted to help us all out.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back