Cool Air vs Short Ram Intake Comparison (dyno)

AFAccord

Reaction score
With a cool air intake setup, our accords (4cyl) feel like they peak around 4300rpm, then drop off at higher rpms, whereas a short ram intake feels like it provides a smoother powerband, with more top-end.

I know it's been discussed on here by others and myself, so here's the response.

JasonHart.jpg

The first two runs are with the cool air installed. As you can see, not much difference from heat soak between runs. I then disconnected the extension to the intake, making it a short ram. The results can be seen in the third run, in green. Clearly no loss up top for the cool air, and simply a small range where a loss can be seen from the short ram setup.

FYI, Setup:

Stock F23A1 engine from valve cover to oil pan with roughly 8,000 miles.
Stock Clutch/flywheel with 8,000 miles.
H23 Prelude transmission with 59,000 miles.

Last edited:

lwlba

Reaction score
good info man. im sure alotta ppl would love to see this.

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
Nice one, Heat Soak is a "Myth"..

I wish I can find the original test/article by StevTec on V6p where he analyzed the myth of "Heat Soak" on our cars.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Nice one, Heat Soak is a "Myth"..

I wish I can find the original test/article by StevTec on V6p where he analyzed the myth of "Heat Soak" on our cars.

I'd like to read that. Especially considering my experiences performing multiple dyno runs, where power is progressively lost when the car isn't allowed to idle for a few minutes between runs.

F23Coupe

Reaction score
Did you reconnect the filter when you took off the extension to make it a SRI? And what intake did you use? Iceman?

F23Coupe

Reaction score
Did you cut your AEM CAI into 2 sections? Most of the AEM CAIs are one piece pipes and can only be converted to SRI if you cut it. And if you cut it, the mounting portions get cut off too and is not as good as an AEM SRI. Why didn't you put the filter on the SR when you ran the dyno? Not sure if deleting the filter will give you more power but the velocity stack in the filter helps with flow, though not sure which would flow better: no filter vs. filter with velocity stack.

Back