Coolant Gauge

Snoobly

Reaction score
How would one get the temperature gauge working in the 01-02 when switched to OBDI. I can't find much info on it.

DH48

Reaction score
As the ecu does not have a cluster output as the OBD2 you will need to wire the sensor to the cluster temp sensor pin. I mean the pin that is behind the pointer (the motor that moves the needle). Also you will have to isolate the pin from the rest of the cluster by using a razor to cut the copper strip. You do not want to kill the cluster :D

The OBDI uses a 0-5v reading but OBD2 converts the sensor signal to a impulss in the ecu and sends it to the cluster. I have wired a OBD2 to a OBDI cluster that was easyer as you only need a diode so you do not contaminate the signal sent to the ecu as the ecu will make the car run like crap. But on the OBDI you need to do the opposite.

My english is not the best so i hope you understand what i am saying. :)

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
add a sensor to the head, run a wire from the sensor to the ecupinout that goes to the gauge.

tada

Snoobly

Reaction score
As the ecu does not have a cluster output as the OBD2 you will need to wire the sensor to the cluster temp sensor pin. I mean the pin that is behind the pointer (the motor that moves the needle). Also you will have to isolate the pin from the rest of the cluster by using a razor to cut the copper strip. You do not want to kill the cluster :D

The OBDI uses a 0-5v reading but OBD2 converts the sensor signal to a impulss in the ecu and sends it to the cluster. I have wired a OBD2 to a OBDI cluster that was easyer as you only need a diode so you do not contaminate the signal sent to the ecu as the ecu will make the car run like crap. But on the OBDI you need to do the opposite.

My english is not the best so i hope you understand what i am saying. :)
I think I see what you're saying but it sounds kinda sketchy trying to isolate the signal on the board
add a sensor to the head, run a wire from the sensor to the ecupinout that goes to the gauge.

tada
isn't there a sensor already in the head? couldn't you just splice into that one?

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they are 2 different sensors operating on 2 different voltages

DH48

Reaction score
The sensor is the same on all engines. The dif. is that one goes to the ECU and the other does not. Well if you have a temp input on the OBD1 ecu then go right ahead. The OBD1 usualy does not have the temp input on the ecu.

Usualy the manufactures do not build separate cluster. The circuitboard is the same but the gauge faces are dif. So by that i mean you there are 2 types of clusters out there the old OBD2/1 hybrid (mostly EU USA cars) and the OBD2 that is sold in the US. The EU car has a OBD1 cluster meaning the signal is from the sensor and does not go to the ECU. US models usualy have it build so the ecu gets the signal and send the inpulse to the cluster.

Do you know the pin on the cluster that gets the ecu signal ?. You might be able to get the cluster to work by just wiring it to the 98-00 cluster temp pin. I have been looking at CL clusters and the 98-00 mudels have the temp sensor pin but the 01-02 have not as they use the signal from the ECU. Cluster are identical.

Back