Coolant Leak

simplicity

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently found some leak that was pretty serious, I'd go through a tank (reservoir) of coolant in one short trip. Took it to a shop and they traced the leak to the radiator lower hose. So I swapped out the lower and upper hose.

Couple days later I noticed a small puddle of coolant in my garage. Checked the reservoir and it is still around the same level it was the night before (at the minimum line). I'll need to go check the radiator level too when it gets cooler.

Is it normal to have small occassional leaks esp after a hose change? I've never noticed any leaks before so this is all pretty new to me.

rustyxsurfx08

Reaction score
ive never noticed any leaks on mine. i would just check some other hoses and see if i can find it myself.

Reaction score
yeah or maybe they overfilled it and when it got warm it pushed some out. Or maybe.... How big was the puddle?

rafalc

Reaction score
I just recently noticed a VERY slow leak when i was under the car. The leak is so slow that the coolant dries off before it drops to the ground. I traced the leak up the engine bay and noticed green dry and wet stains right under the area where the upper hose is connecting to the engine. The leak is far from serious but still...its there. It doesn't look like the hose is bad but maybe the connection itself?

Does anyone know what that part is called so I can look it up? Diagrams would be helpful as well.

Thanks

joshism

Reaction score
I just recently noticed a VERY slow leak when i was under the car. The leak is so slow that the coolant dries off before it drops to the ground. I traced the leak up the engine bay and noticed green dry and wet stains right under the area where the upper hose is connecting to the engine. The leak is far from serious but still...its there. It doesn't look like the hose is bad but maybe the connection itself?

Does anyone know what that part is called so I can look it up? Diagrams would be helpful as well.

Thanks

Mine did the same. It was the little gasket in the thermostat. It's a dollar at autozone. Point it out to the autozone guy.

rafalc

Reaction score
Mine did the same. It was the little gasket in the thermostat. It's a dollar at autozone. Point it out to the autozone guy.

You didn't have to drain the coolant before removing the hose did you? Was it a straight forward replacement....i know the thermostat is sitting there somewhere.

Thanks

redlinevtec

Reaction score

Thanks

You need to be more specific. Did you replace your hose clamps? Is part 6 what your talking about?

If your going to replace the gasket for the thermostat you might as well replace the whole damn thing since your in that area. Use OEM HONDA thermostats. You'll thank me later. They have them set to open at the right temperature. I used those cheap Autozone thermostats and they FAIL...

You didn't have to drain the coolant before removing the hose did you? Was it a straight forward replacement....i know the thermostat is sitting there somewhere.

Thanks

Nah you don't need to drain the coolant out. You need to unplug the metal thermostat cover (two bolts holding it) where the rubber hose goes into (6). A little coolant will spill out. Make sure when you take off your rubber hose from the metal thermostat cover where your thermostat goes (4) you put a cloth inside the rubber hose and keep it upwards from coolant spilling out. Happened to me...Also remove your intake from your throttle to have more room. Trust me, it just gets in the way. Replace your whole thermostat with OEM. Don't go aftermarket. It's pretty much, take in the old thermostat out, put the new one in. Make sure you put it back just like the old one was. Some retard at jiffy lube (before I knew about cars) put it in backwards and it overheated. lol F***ing Jiffylube...

rafalc

Reaction score
Yea...I just bought the O ring that seals the thermostat compartment. Thats where the leak is coming from. For now Im keeping the old thermostat. I should get to it in the next couple of days.

joshism

Reaction score
Yea...I just bought the O ring that seals the thermostat compartment. Thats where the leak is coming from. For now Im keeping the old thermostat. I should get to it in the next couple of days.

It didn't leak when I did it. But then it was a year ago, so I don't remember. You can always catch the fluid with something, and slowly take off the thermostat to see if it'll leak. Don't sweat it dude. You can always fill it back up.

Latest posts

Back