Coolant went inside throttle body- URGENT HELP

zx6r_98

Reaction score
it just slipped my mind... i replaced the tb gaskets... there are 2 hoses that go on the iacv one right under it and one facing toward the airfilter correct ? is it possible that i hooked up the iacv wrong ? im pretty sure i didnt but just wondering if its possible that the iacv would go on diffrently ... ? so did the coolant go in because of the missing gasket ?
other then that all hoses and connectors are back to where they belong...

im gonna change engine oil... coolant... im due for tranny fulid so tht ill change too... anything else ? mayb a seafoam ?

inv4zn

Reaction score
If i remember correctly, the IACV had 3 'chambers' in it...2 for air to pass through and the third one was a bypass for coolant...

So yeah, (if I know what I'm talking about), then the lack of gasket would have definitely sucked coolant into the air chamber, then the TB.

I don't think its possible to hook up any of the hoses wrong...I mean they all bend and end at the right places, so it's pretty hard to mess that up.

As most people are saying change out your fluids/oils and dont ever drive it without any gasket lol

Drift

Reaction score
I just had an image of the TS hooking up the coolant line to a vacuum nipple. . .. I really hope that's not what is really going on here.

zx6r_98

Reaction score
yea those hoses could not go on wrong (ud have to work hard at it to make them go on improperly)... im also pretty sure its the gasket, waiting till tom morning for gasket to arrive and hopefully tht should solve the problem... HOPEFULLY.... :D

also will definately change all fluids ... any other precautions since alot of coolant went in throught the throttle body

Fuzz

Reaction score
Things to do now:

Dump your oil, all off it. Put in new oil, pull out your spark plugs and crank the car over a few times. to make sure there is no liquid in the combustion chamber.

Put in NEW plugs and fire up the car, see what happens.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I just had an image of the TS hooking up the coolant line to a vacuum nipple. . .. I really hope that's not what is really going on here.

Yeah, I bet thats what happened

Also, you dont need a seafoam dude, coolant eats carbon like nobody's business. I thought I just told you that. :slap:

Your plugs are fine

Things to do now:

Dump your oil, all off it. Put in new oil, pull out your spark plugs and crank the car over a few times. to make sure there is no liquid in the combustion chamber.

Put in NEW plugs and fire up the car, see what happens.

I can assure you anything that entered his combustion chamber, burned off within milliseconds during his combustion strokes.

Its a common old school practice to use water treatment to clean carbon out of engines. Coolant in itself is water based and any of the additives are not harmful for an engine, otherwise there would be no reason for it running through your water galleries.

Last edited:

zx6r_98

Reaction score
ok so i got the gaskets and reinstalled everything . now the car wont start, it turns but it wont start ... any suggestions ?

zx6r_98

Reaction score
so after abt an hour of cranking ... the engine finally started .... this time no smoke... :D
thanks for all those who helped (or tried to)...
so i did put on all the hoses correctly ... it was the gasket that i missed (dont know how i never saw that).. i changed engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, i had a k&n air filter which i took it out and replaced it with the original honda air filter... so far car is running good.. idle is strong and i can feel my gas pedal a big more 'tight' now then before... any other suggestions ?

i also saw through my oil refill cap that my engine has some yellowish sluge all around it which i never had before (it was also on the oil refill cap)... any ideas on how to get rid of that ? engine flush ?

F23A1AT

Reaction score
^ don't flush your engine(or transmission). The only thing that should get a flush on this car is the radiator and even that is questionable. It is probably the oil mixed with the little bit of coolant that made it's way past your cylinders, just change your oil again soon. The yellowness should go away completely after a few oil changes.

Back