Cooling System Flush Service Interval

[email protected].

Reaction score
I've been wondering this as well. Would this be a good procedure to follow?
http://www.filtsai.com/accord/coolant_flush/index.php

That method leaves coolant in the block and heater core, but only drains the radiator. I use one of those Prestone flush & fill kits with the tee in the upper heater hose. Other than flushing the used coolant all over the driveway and into the environment, it works very good. But it leaves ordinary city water from the hose in the system, and finch mentioned distilled water.

I like the idea of using distilled water, but short of taking out a drain plug in the back of the block to drain the block too, I can't think of how to use distilled water.

finch13

Reaction score
I usually take the upper and lower radiator hoses off and use a hose to spray in the upper. Heater knob should be on "hot" in the car to open the water valve. spray in the radiator cap hole and clear out the radiator.

In a perfect world you would want to fill up the system with distilled water after and run the car for a bit, drain it, pour in half the capacity with straight coolant and top it off with distilled water.

I think the only way to get all of the coolant out of the block would be removing the drain bolt to the left of the oil filter (4 banger). Someone who's taken an F block apart would know if the drain plug is at the very bottom of the water jacket.

The flush and fill kits are handy. The T doesn't go in the main radiator hoses, it's usually the heater core hoses.

dtraill27

Reaction score
all of my fluids are dirty so including coolant. any idea on how much getting it changed at honda would be

XxESKIMOxX

Reaction score
just buy the oem stuff its not like you are changing it once every month its once every couple of years. you will need 2 gallon or about more like 1.5. about 30 dollars and about 2 dollars or 2 gallon of distilled water(for the flush). the radiator flush is easy. there is a diy. the only problem is finding a place to recycle your used fluid. i just paid some mechanic 5 bucks to take it away from me.

pattywak

Reaction score
I'm assuming these flush and fill kits can be had from any regular parts store?

AccordFlex

Reaction score
I change my coolant in the middle of each of the timing belt services since it has to be changed then anyways. So like 40k miles after I do my timing belt, I change the coolant. I usually put on 20k miles a year so the time frame isnt an issue.

cajun

Reaction score
For what it's worth the coolant change procedure is fully described in your owner's manual.

finch13

Reaction score
^ This is true. They explain it to a T.

If anyone was wondering, here are the coolant capacities (so 1/2 is the amount of Honda or straight coolant you should put in, not 50/50 stuff):

F23 w/ 5spd: 5.4L
F23 w/ 4at: 5.5L
J30 w/ 4at: 5.6L

dtraill27

Reaction score
ill have to go through my manual and haynes more i just dont know if i feel like going through the process of this on my own. i know it hasnt been changed in a long time though

Back