Coupe Center Taillight Question?

rizzy99

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I have searched for about an hour on here and even googled this question but only came back with UK sites. I am planning to have my center taillight removed in a month or two. I've seen a couple of coupes without the light on here and i'm just wondering if it is considered illegal to not have reverse lights? Sorry if this is on here somewhere...i gave it a n00bie try to find it..haha.
BTW...this is not gonna stop me from doing it, just curious.
(If this is in the wrong section i apologize....but i am gonna get rid of the taillight myself..haha..that counts right??)
Ryan

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Search for carbon fiber trunk lids. Thats how some people delete the center portion of the lights. I don't see why it would be illegal, you still have your brake and driving rear lights.

rizzy99

Reaction score
Yea, I've thought about that but is it a good idea to paint carbon fiber?? or can you even? i don't dig the carbon fiber look on a silver car. If you can buy a carbon fiber trunk and paint it, seems like i'd come out cheaper just doing it myself with the stock trunk.

mista jc

Reaction score
Check out brex's car.. somewhere in the socal section on v6p.net. He painted his carbon fiber hood to match his chameleon paint. SICKKKK

As for the REVERSE lights in the center taillight, those are required and illegal if you don't have them in CA, don't know about GA. If God forbids, an accident occurs because someone thought you weren't backing out of a parking spot.. You're held reliable.

My friend's buddy got rear ended by a mini-van because his SMOKED tails were too dark and barely illuminated while braking. He was liable and had to fix it himself.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
Just improvise & add some reverse lights elsewhere so that you'll be covered in the event of an accident.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Just get BMW M5 sidemarkers of eBay, and wire them up on both sides of your license plate into your bumper. This will allow you to shave/replace the trunk light part while staying legal. If you want to get a carbon-fiber trunk, that's a good idea. You can paint it as well without any problems.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I'd just put some bright, small led's under the bumper somewhere around the licence plate. It's probably still not 100% legal but if it actually is visible, you should be fine.

That said, i almost got in an accident when someone didn't have any tail lights working (from what i can see). If i would have hit them, i would have made sure i didn't pay a dime. So do something.

Back