Coupe quarter window

joshism

Reaction score
I heard that I'd have to run a wire on the edge of the rubber sealing on the quarter windows in order to get the glass off. Is it really necessary? I'm just trying to take off the chrome trim so that I can paint my car. I tried taping and painting, but the tape doesn't come off clean. There was a dime size spot where the primer was showing through, too. So I really need to know.

DSC01221.jpg

As you can see, the tape didn't peel off clean on this picture below.

DSC01225.jpg

Last edited:

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
i worked at a shop and had to replace the rear window...i saw my boss removing the whole thing and it looked like a real struggle. from what i saw it's hard to take the trim off and keep the shape. looks easy to put creases in it.

what tape did you use? masking tape works just fine and it always comes off clean.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
The right way to do it is to take the window off. Some people will also put some sort of wire to lift up the gasket so the paint gets under the gasket without having to take off the window.

I would not just masked to gasket and paint because in time the gasket will shrink and the old paint will show. If your window breaks and needs to be replaced, the gasket may be slightly different and show old paint as well.

joshism

Reaction score
The right way to do it is to take the window off. Some people will also put some sort of wire to lift up the gasket so the paint gets under the gasket without having to take off the window.

I would not just masked to gasket and paint because in time the gasket will shrink and the old paint will show. If your window breaks and needs to be replaced, the gasket may be slightly different and show old paint as well.

So how do I take off the window and the gasket/trim? I'm sure other people would also like to know how to do this to paint their car later. The sedans have it easy. They just remove the rear doors.

G'sAccord01

Reaction score
i had to take that thing off on my 4dr ... But even if i tell you its useless to you since yours is a 2dr ... went through a mission though ... taking it off took me an hour and someone had already told me how to do it. And for the 4dr its easier then the 2dr i would imagin ... good luck tho man .. make a DIY on doing it for others

joshism

Reaction score
i had to take that thing off on my 4dr ... But even if i tell you its useless to you since yours is a 2dr ... went through a mission though ... taking it off took me an hour and someone had already told me how to do it. And for the 4dr its easier then the 2dr i would imagin ... good luck tho man .. make a DIY on doing it for others

I've painted a 4 door before. It's simple.

JEER42

Reaction score
Try using fine-line tape around the seal first, then your masking tape. Or you can put weed-eater line under the seal to lift it.

Back