couple of paint questions

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
ok, here goes...
q1: do you have to use high-temp paint when you blackhouse headlights? can you use regular paint? does anyone have any experience (good or bad or otherwise) with regular paint?
q2: my oem rims are pretty scratched and rashed. im considering painting them black. any opinions on how that would look on a DEP (dark emerald pearl) car? i have the same stock rims as cdubb, just for reference cause youve probly seen his pics with em on.
q3: i have a couple paint guns at home. should i use some spray paint for my headlights, or bust out the guns? i kinda want to try em out and see how it goes.
q4: idk if anyone knows this (its a unique question), but how much paint would i need to cover a trunk or front bumper? if i cant find a spoilerless DEP trunk this spring, im not totally opposed to painting it myself if it turns out well. also, my front bumper is really pitted. if i do take on these projects, i dont want to buy a ton of extra paint, but i dont want to be short in the middle of the project.
q5: when you paint calipers, how do you strip all the old paint and rust off? use naval jelly or...?

ive got a secret project in mind too. it might be ghey, but i think its a good idea in my own mind. i guess ive got to do it to see how it turns out. thatll come in spring...if everything works out and i can find the paint i need. oh yeah, sorry for the essay:rolleyes:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
question #1 answer: i think some people havent used the hightemp paint, but i would, just cuz of the light bulb being right by the paint. some people dont use it cuz theyll just have black paint laying around. i would use, and did, glossy black engine enamel with ceramic that i picked up for $5, at most, and i would say use that just to stay on the safe side, you dont wanna redo them. ive redone my passenger one a ocuple times cuz of eurolite exploders, haha.

question #2 answer:
passengerside.jpg

theyre not black, or OEMs, but theyre dark (gunmetal) rims on my emerald green, and i would say go for it, i think it looks good if thats the look you want. sand them down and prime them, do the whole 9 yards. and do them in high temp paint too, those calipers can get hot. and while youre out picking of a couple cans for the rims, get an extra one for the headlights, haha.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i asked about the paint in the headlights because i want to do something secret (actually 2 secrets haha).

oh yeah, im doing the rims fully. a couple years ago, i got to use duplicolor wheel paint on a buddies ride. it looked really good when we were done, even though we didnt use primer. i was planning on using that stuff again, cause it held up really well. but, i dont know how shiny i want them. i like flat black, but they wont be flat unless i use regular paint and i want to clear them for protection. but idk, im kinda on the fence about doing them in black. i gotta tint the tails and paint the headlight housings first in any case.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
^^i wanna be safe by using the high temp, but at the same time, i really want to do what im thinking about. in my head it sounds tight. "in my head" is the key phrase though hehe.

Back