crank pulley bolt stuck!!!

Fabian

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my crank pulley off to change out the crank position sensors and get my car back on the road. I've used heat and impacts and it won't come loose. Someones telling me to put a breaker bar against the frame of the car and put it on the pulley bolt and crank the motor without spark connected and see if that breaks it loose but I'm scared that's gonna create a whole nother problem for me to deal with.

soccerchamp16

Reaction score
You're best bet would be to heat it up real hot and use a breaker bar with something extending it further. I'm sure you've probably already tried that though.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my crank pulley off to change out the crank position sensors and get my car back on the road. I've used heat and impacts and it won't come loose. Someones telling me to put a breaker bar against the frame of the car and put it on the pulley bolt and crank the motor without spark connected and see if that breaks it loose but I'm scared that's gonna create a whole nother problem for me to deal with.

Breaker bar & starter trick only works on the V6, 4 cylinder spins the wrong way, it would tighten the bolt.

Get these from autozone

Wrap an old belt around the pulley to protect it then clamp those suckers down.

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
Those boltscan be tough. I did a few civic ones.I wound up buying a peice of 5ft cast iron plumbers pipe to use on the breaker bar. When you succeed, it will sound like a shot gun going off- I wouldn't recommend extensive exposure to heat. The rubber made into the balancer can get damaged and the outer metal will seperate while your engine is running, then you'll really have problems. Good luck either way.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
The best thing to do is get one of those honda crank pulley holder tools - places like O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, AutoZone have them for rent with a deposit. While you're there rent a long breaker bar, usually OEM brand - that is good enough to do the job, it helps if you have a pipe you can put on the end of it for leverage. Even though space is tight in the wheelwell, with that pivoting breaker bar it's the easiest way to get it off. While you're at any of the parts store (they all have it), grab yourself a can of this, it is the most well working penetrating spray I have used (but it is not a lubricant like PB Blaster or WD-40):

Freeze Off (CRC)

Hope this helps, feel free to rep, good luck. They even have pulley tool on the WalMart site I guess lol:

Honda Crank Pulley Tool

Last edited:

Fabian

Reaction score
Yeah you're right!! ^^ I located one of the tools at pepboys. They rented it to me so I'm gonna ha e a go at it tomorroe after I get bsck from wekfest in NJ. thank u guys for your help! Ill keep u all updated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
i heated mine up for a good 5-10 mins with a mapp gas torch, then used a long breaker bar with the handle from an aluminum racing jack over it and it came off like butter. it took a few tries but you just have to keep at it.

Back