Crankshaft Bearing Replacement?

[email protected].

Reaction score
I don’t know where I can find a more knowledgeable bunch of guys, so I’m asking all of you…

A few weeks back I sent in some oil from my last oil change to Blackstone Labs. The idea was to find out if my drain intervals were too long/short, and I just thought it would be interesting to see what they had to say. Blackstone’s been doing a lot of these tests for a lot of years, so I trust they know what they’re doing.

The test came back that my Royal Purple with about 5K miles on it still had some life left to it, but not a lot. So that answered my drain interval question. But the kicker was that they found excessive levels of both lead and copper in the oil. The report said that it could only be for two reasons; certain oil additives, like Restore, or bearing wear.

I never use oil additives, thinking good oil, changed religiously doesn’t need ‘em. The report said they welcome phone calls, so I called to see if there’s any other possible explanation for the lead and copper. They said no, and recommended a retest in a couple thousand miles, which for me is about 4 months. I’m thinking I can do a retest sooner without draining my whole crankcase- just catch the oil in something clean, take out the 4oz. sample, and refill. A very good long-time friend owns a Goodyear station, and knows as much as anyone I know about cars. He confirmed that bearing wear would contribute lead and copper, and doesn’t know where else it could be coming from.

My Goodyear buddy doesn’t think simply replacing the bearings is the answer, without turning the crank too, and replacing the main bearings at the same time. He also thinks it may be the camshaft bearings that are wearing.

So the questions I have are…

Could it be cam bearings? Is there any way to visibly inspect cam or crank bearings for wear? I’ve never dropped an oil pan- is that a pita, and do other parts have to removed to get a good shot at it? I should know, since I’m under the car changing the oil regularly. I’ve owned the car since new, and have always changed oil every 3 months.

Part of me says just live with it, change the oil, and see what happens. And part of me says if I can determine for sure that there’s bearing wear, I should deal with it. But the Goodyear guy says once you start a job like that, you can’t just band-aid it, you have to do it right w/ mains and crank bearings, turning the crank, etc., and it’ll run into some serious money. Plus, he thinks it’ll be hard to really tell if the bearings are wearing. I thought of an engine swap, but don’t want to go that route unless this engine is really on its way out. There are no other symptoms, no noise or vibrations. The car runs great and pulls strong otherwise. There's a retired mechanic at church that I would trust do tear it down. I already had the timing belt/water pump kit that we were planning on doing together. So the labor would be a lot less than a shop.

I’ve been loving the car for 10+ years, and I’m not ready to hang it up. Sorry for the long post, and THANKS for any input.

Misterd0505

Reaction score
my first question... is your car running like **** or leaking oil? if the answer is no, then you just solved your whole "problem". doing crank bearings isn't just a matter of dropping the oil pan and pop 'em out-pop 'em in... you're pretty much getting into a whole rebuild w/ pullin the engine, new bearings all around, new gaskets... basically a big PITA and waste of time and money if there is no need - imo.

[email protected].

Reaction score
my first question... is your car running like **** or leaking oil? if the answer is no, then you just solved your whole "problem". doing crank bearings isn't just a matter of dropping the oil pan and pop 'em out-pop 'em in... you're pretty much getting into a whole rebuild w/ pullin the engine, new bearings all around, new gaskets... basically a big PITA and waste of time and money if there is no need - imo.

Runs great, and pulls strong. Leaks a drop now and then, since I didn't realize I didn't have a new crush washer 'til I was in the middle of the oil change. I figured it would be a pita, but would do it if it needed it. That's what I'm trying to find out, if there's a way to determine if the bearings are wearing and which ones.

4BANGR

Reaction score
No in order to find out what bearing is failing you need to pull the engine out and have it inspected. Its one of those things that YOU need to decide on what you want to do, pull motor? let it go? use additives?

If you want my opinion i say let it go, its not a race car but keep a tight eye on it, and you should be ok, compression test once in a while would be a good idea as well, you can use a dial indacator on the end of the crank shaft to check A.K.A CRANK WALK or to much play in the bearings of the crank,

Also check your headgasket sometimes there are metal shavings in coolant that get into your coolant and can cause ? as well

compression test
leak down test
check for electrocsis in the coolant with a volt meter,
good luck...

Misterd0505

Reaction score
^^ agreed. it really does depend on what you want to do. but, if you DO decide do go ahead with it, it's pointless to just replace the one bad bearing.. once you get it all apart you might as well replace all crank/rod bearings and seals. if you want some resources check out www.hondaautomotiveparts.com ... that's where i got all my bearings from... the price isn't too bad. g/l with whichever you decide.

[email protected].

Reaction score
Just buy another motor. It is generally cheaper in the long run.

Yeah, that's what I've been told. But you don't know what you're getting then either.

Assuming that one or more of my bearings are on their way out, is there any warning that the end is near? Since this is a daily driver, waiting 'til it dies is not good. Replacing a motor on the hunch that bearings are dying might not be smart either.

Misterd0505

Reaction score
buy a spare that's got blown rings or somethin, and rebuild it. when it's all set, drop it in... that way you won't be without your car.

[email protected].

Reaction score
buy a spare that's got blown rings or somethin, and rebuild it. when it's all set, drop it in... that way you won't be without your car.

Yeah, in my dreams. If I had the tools and know-how and the room... I'll do some stuff like the mods on the car so far, but I never learned how to do any internal engine building. And Milwaukee is backwards as far as a decent Honda community. In the 10 years I've had this car, I think I've seen one or two non-stock Accords... a few Civics and Integras. So there aren't any people to hang with, and learn from.

If I knew for sure my motor was on its way out, and when, I'd seriously look at a H22 swap. But being broke, I'm not going that route 'til I have to.

Back