• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No i dont know you

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jarrett

Reaction score
I'm confused as to what the cons for this setup are.

If you were to swap 2005-2013 Acura RL brake calipers on the car, you would need all of the same parts this method proposes. It's possible that the one-off nature of the caliper brackets may make them a little bit more expensive than the ones sold now, but that's fine. You'll make your money back on the cost of the calipers, not to mention that they're brand new.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
I think the way most people look at it, is, everything is already done for the RL upgrade.

There is no waiting to see if there is a possible option to use this setup, the RL ones are already done and proven to work.

Secondly, Acura/Honda, same thing, so not really a big issue if my calipers say 'ACURA' on my Honda.

Thirdly, if people have an issue with the 'ACURA' on their RL calipers, they can always grind it off and paint the calipers. Still a cheaper option than the CTS-V upgrade.

People are often skeptical about new products for our cars until they have been proven. Someone has to be the guinea pig, so I guess the OP will be the one and let us know how it goes.

The good thing for anyone considering the CTS-V upgrade is that SSM owners won't have to paint the calipers!

Brad2274

Reaction score
well after checking ebay i noticed prices are similar but there seems to be more options, like i saw a listing for about $400 for all 4 calipers, would be nice if you got all 4 to fit. Also saw some newer ctsv calipers in different colors that were 6 piston and pretty hefty, that's where i could really see advantages over RL. The price was more like 7-800 for the bigger ones but most of them came with rear 4 pistons as well, which you could just sell or use.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
The only real benefit is if the V calipers are lighter. Otherwise they're both 4pots and use the same rotor so not really a difference. So these calipers are $100 brand new....where and why are they so cheap? And who makes them?

I think the caliper in that pic is mounted on the wrong side, I believe the bleeder valve is supposed to be on top. Unless he did that to make his brake line reach. But the pistons are staggered on these, right? If so, one of them is supposed to be at the leading edge.

Last edited:

chaby_91

Reaction score
^ the bleeder screw is pointing down because these calipers are mounted further back on the CTS-V's disk/knuckle, pointing the screw upwards. These calipers use different size pistons and the smaller one needs to be the first to squeeze the disk. That prevents a "proper" installation, but does not affect the functionality of the caliper. They can still be bled prior to installation with something preventing the pistons from popping out.

Brembo makes them, or at least designed them. I don't see how they can be purchased for $100 new tho.

There isn't any problem with the current option so this seems to me like it is nothing but competition for the RL setup. The RL calipers already have a bracket designed and the brake pads are significantly cheaper.

Last edited:

agginline86

Reaction score
I think the way most people look at it, is, everything is already done for the RL upgrade.

There is no waiting to see if there is a possible option to use this setup, the RL ones are already done and proven to work.

Secondly, Acura/Honda, same thing, so not really a big issue if my calipers say 'ACURA' on my Honda.

Thirdly, if people have an issue with the 'ACURA' on their RL calipers, they can always grind it off and paint the calipers. Still a cheaper option than the CTS-V upgrade.

There isn't any problem with the current option so this seems to me like it is nothing but competition for the RL setup. The RL calipers already have a bracket designed and the brake pads are significantly cheaper.

this

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
$100 apiece for brand new calipers? I'd have to see it to believe it since the street price of junkyard advics calipers are $200 a pair. and how much are pads? Which pads have the most contact area?

the 3G RL set up is nice because everything bolts right up and you don't even have to source a certain brake line, they just screw together.

I'd be interested, but I think the $150-ish going rate for the fast brakes kit is on the high end of what a chunk of milled aluminum should cost...so this kit would definitely have to beat out the advics.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I don't like that you have to grind down the caliper bracket...they should have just made their adapter to fit correctly.

^ the bleeder screw is pointing down because these calipers are mounted further back on the CTS-V's disk/knuckle, pointing the screw upwards. These calipers use different size pistons and the smaller one needs to be the first to squeeze the disk. That prevents a "proper" installation, but does not affect the functionality of the caliper. They can still be bled prior to installation with something preventing the pistons from popping out.

Brembo makes them, or at least designed them. I don't see how they can be purchased for $100 new tho.

I think the bleeder should be at the top though, and actually the directions say to swap the bleeders and crossover lines (calling out their own photo as incorrect lol) so that it is. This makes sense as my Rotora 4-pistons are installed with bleeders up. However it is dumb that the image that is displayed here (correct install) is different than the images in the installation instruction itself (incorrect). Puts a black eye on CTSV Brake Swap LLC not to show their product accurately. :eh:

It appears Brembo sells the OEM pads under their name (even though they seem to be made by Ferodo). And Brembo is stamped on the back of the caliper...these can't be $100 new.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back