Custom Intake Manifold for Turbo F23

turboaccord98

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a custom intake manifold for a turbo application for the F23? There is a chance a friend of mine will be designing and manufacturing a one off manifold for me for his senior project. This would be a welded aluminum manifold similar to the Golden Eagle one that is used on many B series builds(large plenum, short runners, etc...).

This is mostly directed towards the turbo guys making 300+ but if you guys know of anything let me know. Thanks in advance.

This is the B series Golden Eagle mani.
golden-eagle-intake-manifold-honda-b-series-gnommory-1004-16-GNOMMORY54_zps8c801a81.jpg

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
That isn't exactly an ideal plenum shape though. But I'm sure a couple people would be interested if they were actually made.

I want to say that Jason used one for his recent build... But I don't really remember.

turboaccord98

Reaction score
Yeah the shape is not ideal but... With fluid dynamics, volume is going to play a larger role then geometry is. Also, for a turbo application, geometry is even less significant. This style of manifold has been proven to make power and it's relatively easy to manufacture in comparison to something with "ideal geometry".

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I can definitely see that. Unless you're making a race application the increase in size with short runners will do a lot of good. Sounds like a good senior project to me. Assuming high school?

turboaccord98

Reaction score
College, Western Washington University. My friend is a Vehicle design/Plastics engineering major. He is really good at welding though which helps.

akoutmos

Reaction score
If i remember correctly there is a shop that makes sheet metal manifolds for the F23 motor. ihazsnail might be running one if i remember correctly??

Also, I'll have to check out your accord when I move to seattle this spring :p

turboaccord98

Reaction score
I'll have to track down IHazsnail's build thread. Yeah you should let me know when you are in the area. I should have a pretty awesome setup on the accord by then. Where in Seattle are you moving to?

akoutmos

Reaction score
From the looks of it, the Queen Anne neighborhood. I'm counting on you having a pretty slick setup by then ;). IDK if the G23 swap will be complete by then though :(

AFAccord

Reaction score
That isn't exactly an ideal plenum shape though. But I'm sure a couple people would be interested if they were actually made.

Beat me to it...

What I had recommended with the F23 runners is to grind away everything except the four runners themselves, and basically fit a tapered plenum down on top of it, but having the runners sitting above the floor of the box because air flow around the walls is almost stagnant compared to just a few fractions of an inch off the walls. There's a good article somewhere. I'll post it up if I can find it. We all agreed it would be a good solution, but it would definitely take some work. RLZ actually did the exact same thing on some 90* Ford runners 8-9 years back. I dont remember the exact results, but I remember that it worked out great for them.

After going through all the "what-if's", ruling out H-series manifolds for lack of a way to taper the ports gently into the F23 head, and even discussing building a sheet metal tapered plenum and attaching it to the F23 runners so that they're just off the floor of the plenum, we agreed that an OE F23 IM is the only option short of JGE's one-off giant sheet metal manifold.

The question then, was what could be done to the F23 IM to make it more efficient in a forced induction setup. We tossed up ideas of trumpetting the tops of the runners, and even discussed the modifications Nocture had performed on his IM. My tuner thought the job he had done could potentially be quite beneficial if the runner dividers were knife edged, but with no real evidence or reason. Reid didn't agree, and said the best thing to be done would be to trumpet the runners as much as possible like this photo, and let it be. There seems to be more potential to mess things up than to improve them. In the end my log turbo manifold would be the biggest restriction by far. I'm going to inquire into a top-mount mani from AV Engineering, but I'm almost certain it will be cost prohibitive for my goals.

n1077624295_17556_6773.jpg

So I think it's fair to say at this point that I will simply get my stock TB bored to 64mm, open the plenum up slightly larger than that, and port/trumpet the tops of the runners as much as possible. Using a different manifold also opens up a whole can of worms with regards thermostat placement and routing coolant lines, which is something I don't want to deal with again.

I want to say that Jason used one for his recent build... But I don't really remember.

I used the stock F23 IM in my build with the only modification being port-matched to the TB. Long story short, I think there are other areas for improvement before getting into custom/modified intake manifolds and throttle bodies.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
What were some of the other areas?

I always thought having a custom IM, higher flowing, evenly distributed, would be a great place since that's where "it all starts".

Back