Custom License Plate Light (LED)

HomerJay

Reaction score
My latest addiction involves ordering way too many LED/circuit components and figuring out where to use them. There is actually something to be gained in doing what I did here; ultimately I have plans for some LED work on my headlights (w/ retrofit) and eventually the remaining lights (tails, sides, reverse).

I also figured I'd start with something small since I am new with ordering PCBs and using the associated software. I had one of my plug-n-play LEDs go bad due to moisture so I got new seals and lenses for the lights while I was at it.

The boards arrived today so couldn't wait to get soldering. The boards along with others I ordered. The very first boards I ordered are on the bottom. I sent the wrong drill file which resulted in no holes...oops!

P5090774.JPG

P5090778.JPG

Front and back:

P5090780.JPG

Assembled, front:

P5090788.JPG

Assembled, back:

P5090789.JPG

And with the breadboard and the prototype circuit:

P5100799.JPG

Probably too bright in the end...so there might be a v2 after all. Due to the connection method (wires direct soldered into +/- pads on left of board), I could test it but only for a few minutes. I did have the proto circuit powered by a bench power supply for about 8 hours without issue.

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks very nice. Post some video up on how they work.
Also for v2, maybe add a t10/194 base for the power leads to make it plug and play.

HomerJay

Reaction score
I hope to have before/after pictures in the next week.

Unfortunately, there is no room between the board and the socket. Actually, the board sits flush on the socket. The wires are going to have to go out the enclosure through grommets and then connect to the wiring harness.

HomerJay

Reaction score
Turns out the screws I got are a bit too short (the bulb holders are about 2x as thick as I guessed). Either way, I did get up the nerve to drill for the standoffs/screws and am happy that it went quite well.

Both standoffs installed with drilled bulb holder:

P5190800.jpg

There's barely any room but it appears everything will fit nicely:

P5190803.jpg

About 1/8" too short. I've got rubber washers and flat washers which leaves maybe one thread for the nut:

P5190804.jpg

I did try taking pictures of it powered. It's just too bight on it's own. Between being recessed, the lens and that it's meant to illuminate the license plate, I will have to wait for pictures until they're installed.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice work, sounds like you know what you're doing with it. Curious to see the result.

HomerJay

Reaction score
Any chance on making these members? Looks very well put together.

I do have some concerns. The voltage regulator is a bit more cramped than I would like. It didn't get too hot while testing but until I test in the enclosure, I'm not sure how reliable it will be. The LEDs themselves probably couldn't be provided as I have on hand what I need for this and a few other projects.

Nice work, sounds like you know what you're doing with it. Curious to see the result.

I'd sure like to think that's the case but this is all very new to me. I found free software for designing circuit boards and a relatively cheap fabricator (the 3 boards I ordered for these lights here cost all of $8.50 including shipping...it took 2 weeks but 3 boards under $10?). Also found circuits on HID Planet since planning a retrofit started this LED obsession of mine.

HomerJay

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the HIDIllusionz backup up light mod. The license plate lights here have proven to be just the beginning for my lighting projects. It really was a means to test the PCB fabrication process (software, ordering, etc). And it has worked out so well that I just soldered up a new LED 3rd light (going to a M3 style spoiler) on another custom board I designed.

Eventually, I plan on backup lights, new tails and possibly some interior lights. And, yes, I realize I still have to get these license plate lights finished. Turns out the screws I got were too short; hopefully this weekend this one will be finished.

Back