Cutting your strut towers yay or nay?

KnightRyder

Reaction score
im 90% sure the little tapping you're still hearing is this area right here. i've always noticed that this part also hits, not as bad as the ball joint but still contact.

adfasdfasdf.jpg

btw, how did he cut the opening? with a plasma cutter? did he protect underneath with anything while he cut? im not about to let him take a plasma cutter to the metal there with my bags (coming soon) sitting right there too.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Yeah, it might just be that area but he said he didn't want to cut too far out or he won't have much surface to weld on the plates.

And, he used something like this to cut it.

Spectrum375X-TREME.jpg

I'm not sure if he protected underneath while cutting though, I don't recall.

Last edited:

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
That's where mine hits and its starting to push the ball joint out. I'd take a dremel cut off wheel to it from underneath. That's just me.

Yes that's a plasma cutter

Akingkhan

Reaction score
Yeah that's a plasma n from the slag on the uca it doesn't look like he covered any thing.
It's not going to damage any thing n that slag will come right off but g0d damn that's a big a$$, hole he cut out! The finished product looks hella clean :thumbsup: props

KnightRyder

Reaction score
yea im gonna have to bring a fire blanket or something to put underneath and protect my bags. those are some serious temps.

i also hope he did some additional cutting after creating the box. if not then you've got areas where water and debris might gather.

anyways, i will likely come down the weekend of CAM and get mine done too.

truWarier02

Reaction score
yea im gonna have to bring a fire blanket or something to put underneath and protect my bags. those are some serious temps.

i also hope he did some additional cutting after creating the box. if not then you've got areas where water and debris might gather.

anyways, i will likely come down the weekend of CAM and get mine done too.

Haha, you should definitely bring one. Funny story actually (well, not at the time).. Kevin's car was leaking coolant so he put a box filled with newspapers under the car so it wouldn't drip all over the shop floor. I guess the guy didn't know about the box but while he was cutting with the plasma, it sparked the newspapers and caught fire under the car. It was pretty scary, and at one point, the flame got quite close to the fuel tank :skurred:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Those look good, some paint would finish it off nicely.

It is a huge hole, but as long as the support is there. Looks like a well done job.

Sleeper Cell

No more CG Squad!!!
Reaction score
Driving is so smooth over bumpy roads now. TYBG.

I will say to those that are super dumped or are planning on doing this, be sure to hammer that fender/frame seam at the top of the fender wells. My tires hit that now lol.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Yess ^ I've hammered mine a little and it still scrubs on the interstate. I think I'm going to cut it then stitch weld it

Back