DDM or O-Nex HIDs?

Nismode

Reaction score
When i ordered my HID's from them, I got a tracking number and everything like i was supposed to and they came in about 6 days.

But then i ordered my relay harness the next week and they never told me when it shipped or anything.
My sister just brought it to me when I was on the computer lol (it took them about 5 days)
This harness?

http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/HID_Accessory_Harness_Assy-133-94.html
hidaccyharness.jpg

Is it absolutely necessary for the usage of the HID kits in our cars? That brings the shipped price for the total DDM kit + harness over $100....worth it/necessary?

finch13

Reaction score
Necessary? No. Peace of mind? Yes.

PS - I paid $110 shipped without a relay harness for the DDM HIDs, the prices you pay now are a steal for such a good kit with a lifetime warranty.

Nismode

Reaction score
Necessary? No. Peace of mind? Yes.

PS - I paid $110 shipped without a relay harness for the DDM HIDs, the prices you pay now are a steal for such a good kit with a lifetime warranty.
Well what does it do basically?

Use this relay harness to connect HIDs to cars with very small gauge wiring that cannot supply the initial surge current required to light the bulbs reliably. Symptoms indicating the harness is required would be intermittent starting or lights going out after being turned on for several minutes and requiring you to turn the lights off and back on for them to turn back on again.

Do our cars have small gauge wiring? I'm asking because I've seen only 1 or 2 threads where people have trouble with only one side lighting up. I plan to get the 35w kit btw. Seems like you haven't had any problems without a relay harness, right?

finch13

Reaction score
I DIY'ed my own harness, but I haven't had any issues with that.

What happens is, igniting an HID creates a high voltage spike, and because our headlight switch wasn't designed to handle a power spike like that it can fail prematurely. It's a rare thing to happen. An even better reason to get the harness to is to isolate the HIDs from the factory wiring and protect the factory electrical system from the shock that the voltage spike sends through the electrical system. This is all purely what I've read and witness, I haven't done any testing myself, but a relay kit is recommended, not required.

NINaudio

Reaction score
Do our cars have small gauge wiring? I'm asking because I've seen only 1 or 2 threads where people have trouble with only one side lighting up. I plan to get the 35w kit btw. Seems like you haven't had any problems without a relay harness, right?

I ran my old HID kit for 5+ years without a wiring harness and I had no issues.

I'm also not running a stock alternator, not sure how much of a difference that makes in handling any voltage spikes that might occur from starting the HID's.

Nismode

Reaction score
I DIY'ed my own harness, but I haven't had any issues with that.

What happens is, igniting an HID creates a high voltage spike, and because our headlight switch wasn't designed to handle a power spike like that it can fail prematurely. It's a rare thing to happen. An even better reason to get the harness to is to isolate the HIDs from the factory wiring and protect the factory electrical system from the shock that the voltage spike sends through the electrical system. This is all purely what I've read and witness, I haven't done any testing myself, but a relay kit is recommended, not required.
Looks to be the same thing/similar, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They connect directly to the battery and bypass the OEM electrical system, right? So how does this affect the auto on/off options for the EX model?

finch13

Reaction score
They look to be the same, I can't tell you if they'll work good or not though.

The auto-on/off function will remain the same. If the car tried to light the stock bulb, it will still light with the harness.

A relay is like a switch, operated remotely. The battery provides direct power to the ballast, bypassing all the vehicles factory wiring. Turning on the headlights inside the car is merely flipping the relay closed, closing the circuit, and allowing power from the battery to flow to the ballast.

Nismode

Reaction score
They look to be the same, I can't tell you if they'll work good or not though.

The auto-on/off function will remain the same. If the car tried to light the stock bulb, it will still light with the harness.

A relay is like a switch, operated remotely. The battery provides direct power to the ballast, bypassing all the vehicles factory wiring. Turning on the headlights inside the car is merely flipping the relay closed, closing the circuit, and allowing power from the battery to flow to the ballast.
Thanks for the helpful words Brandon (same name as me haha). Think I'm just gonna order them without the harness for now and if I need to I'll make one (I have most of the wires and such). Repped.

finch13

Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful words Brandon (same name as me haha). Think I'm just gonna order them without the harness for now and if I need to I'll make one (I have most of the wires and such). Repped.

No problem! From one Brandon to another! haha. You should be just fine without the harness, I have yet to see someone post about how their HIDs blew up their speedometer or their ECU or something like that. I have heard of people switch going out though, which is a $40 DIY fix, but I know people that haven't had to replace a switch yet.

Back