Decoding 2001 accord transmission vin numbers

cecoen

Reaction score
OK, so my trans failed at 109K and was replaced under warranty. Now, 39K and 2 years later it is failing again. I'm told by my honda store that because it was a warranty trans it carries no warranty and there is nothing they can do about it. Needless to say I am very upset that it has failed with only 39K on it.

Anyway, to my point, it has always had a roaring noise in the front end. Well, I assumed it was a tire noise until we put all new tires on it, then I assumed it was wheel bearing noise. Then the orig trans goes out and they tell me that the axle bearing are noisy and fluid is being pushed out past the axle seals. Bam, new honda trans! yay, right, except the noise never went away. Now, 39K later they tell me the trans axle bearings are noisy and fluid is being pushed past the seals and it needs a new trans. I am really wondering if they even installed a new trans last time!?!?!?! Here is a pic of what stickers and numbers I could see on the trans and a pic of a sticker on the upper timing cover that matches the numbers on the trans. Do they install a new sticker when they install a new trans or is this my old original trans? Can anyone decode the numbers? Thanks for your help! Well, I tried to post pics but failed. Here is a link to the pics....http://picasaweb.google.com/chadecoen/HondaAccordTransmissionNumbers?feat=directlink

finch13

Reaction score
They just replace the transmission. The transmission has the model and serials numbers stamped into it somewhere. The sticker on the timing cover has nothing to do with the transmission.

The replacement transmission probably came with a 3 year/36000 mile warranty, which is probably the reason they won't replace it. It also sounds like you need to go to a different shop because fluid leaking past axle seals isn't really a bad tranny.

cecoen

Reaction score
But the number on the sticker on the timing cover matches the numbers on the trans?

It is now shifting hard on a cold start and the axle bearings are noisy. I don't know if it is bad or not but at 39K it sure as heck shouldn't be!

cajun

Reaction score
The replacement transmission probably came with a 3 year/36000 mile warranty, which is probably the reason they won't replace it. It also sounds like you need to go to a different shop because fluid leaking past axle seals isn't really a bad tranny.

+1 on needing to get a 2nd opinion from another dealer/shop.

Two of my coworkers had reman 6thGen transmissions covered by Honda. They were told that since Honda picked up the bill the warranty was 0/0.

cecoen

Reaction score
That is exactly what I am being told. I didn't pay for it so there is no warranty. Well, there was the usual parts warranty of 12 months or some crap like that. In my shoes, it doesn't matter if it was free or $20K it is a major vehicle component and should be covered. I was told that the new trans was an improved trans with changes to the parts that were failing in the first place but I am begining to wonder. Hondas point is that they covered the vehicle for 7 years and 109K so they are done. And I just don't see how they can ask me for money with a straight face for the same damned part that will just fail again in another 2 years or 40K!!! I mean really, fix the F*%$@ing problem and then I would consider paying for another one. I think it is crap. I have sold hondas worked in a honda shop and LOVE LOVE LOVE honda brand. I think they are one of the most advanced car makers on the planet. I have a garage full of honda vehicles including my kids cars and a basement full of honda toys. But I am very disturbed about my trans. I am going to wait and see how the Honda claims guy treats me but this may well be the last honda purchase I make.

cecoen

Reaction score
AND, I am pretty darn sure that the service guy told me it was a 3/36 trans when I picked up the car last time. Although it is no where on the paperwork. It just states that they replaced the trans at no cost. Why the heck wouldn't you tell a customer that it is not covered?

cajun

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you got bit twice by the 6G trans. As you know the service guy's word counts for dick if it's not in writing. I'd take it up with Honda Corp, not the dealer.

I've seen nothing to make me believe there were any "improvements" in the factory reman transmissions. I asked my dealer and Honda Corp - neither had anything to say about it. I think Honda just kept cranking out the same flawed design in their factory remans, so you still get the "luck of the draw" early failures on some.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I had the same problem when my auto trans went. The reason the seals on the axles are popping is because of added vibration and movement from the tranny to the axles. If you can, put your car on jack stands and try to see if you can wiggle the axles back and forth to feel for play. Mine were really bad, It would move like a half inch. Thats the reason why the seals are busting, they are under added stress and movement.

IMO, it might be a little taboo in here. But I would just sell your car, get rid of it. Why put another tranny in for the third time???? If you can install it yourself, then yeah. When mine went, I just converted it to manual so I would not have to install another autotrajic again. Sorry 5 speed swap FTW

finch13

Reaction score
I agree, sell it or swap it, not worth to replace it again.

And I wouldn't bother talking to Honda... if you don't have a warranty on the paperwork, you don't have a warranty. Even if you did, you're already over the 36k and it's no help to you.

cecoen

Reaction score
That 5sp swap is a good idea. How involved was it? Easy as pedal swap and adding the master/slave cylinders?

Thanks,
Chad

Back