Deleted my powersteering (pics)

Theory208

Reaction score
My power steering set up (00 Accord ex sedan). I haven't gotten it on the road yet. Just by taking off the belt and leaving pump attached, this is what I noticed-
Tires feel 1'' wider
Throttle feels 1' closer to my hand
Energy spent compensating for power steering corrections, 50% less
Power band has changed, where? I don't know, but my gears seem to last a little longer
Total weight reduction with parts below 7lbs 1oz.
psparts.jpg

Bracket for resivor-
ps2.jpg

ps3.jpg

Lines to resivor- (I'm not to crazy about the 90* bend in there, but it'll work. All lines are from oem set up.)
ps4.jpg

Last edited:

Deshon2688

Reaction score
Cool, I was thinking about doing this too in the future. Gotta get some more use out of that AEM PS pulley lol :driving:

MrLazie1

Reaction score
there should be a full DIY on this so its easier. i didnt search yet. but just saying.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i think those power gaons are in your head, but congrats on doing it

Theory208

Reaction score
(check this thread)- http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6119&highlight=removing+power+steering

I would have put together a more comprehensive DIY but I didn't want to "steer" anyone in the wrong direction and be held some-what liable (ie- correct fittings on fuel lines etc.) The "feel factor" is a real thing. The benefits I have noticed are as stated. I've read a lot about how it might be to hard to turn cause it's a big car blah, blah. I'm 6' 145lbs (I know ha, ha) but I have no problems turning the wheel. Even if I was 15lbs. lighter, probably still wouldn't have a problem with it. A good steering wheel cover makes a difference also.

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
The "feel factor" is a real thing. The benefits I have noticed are as stated. I've read a lot about how it might be to hard to turn cause it's a big car blah, blah. I'm 6' 145lbs (I know ha, ha) but I have no problems turning the wheel. Even if I was 15lbs. lighter, probably still wouldn't have a problem with it. A good steering wheel cover makes a difference also.

+1 the feel factor is definitely there. I haven't once thought about going back...

Also, are you on larger wheels? I can barely steer with 15" steelies on the car, but with my 18's it feels just as easy as it does with power steering.

Did you loop the inlet and outlet lines and tee them into the reservoir? I've been meaning to do that, I jus haven't found the will to spend the time doing it. If you have the correct fitting size, let me know, I'd like to buy it.

Theory208

Reaction score
I'm on stockies right now. I didn't want to go the Home Depot route but the parts shop fittings were near impossible to get in the lines. (brass)- I used one 1/2'' x 1/2'' elbow (had to file it down a bit to fit). One 1/2'' to 3/4'' straight line coupling (fit like a glove). And about 6x 7/16'' clamps. The 1/2'' elbow is a real pita to get in there, but it goes. The cars still on jacks, I'm enjoying feeling clean for a few hours (been covered head to toe in ps fluid for the last 2 days). I'll post up what I notice the difference is between just removing the belt and putting in the resivour.

Last edited:

CHID0

Reaction score
What's the reason for the fittings, elbows and clamps? Can't you just remove the components and be done? I did read in Badgers thread that you need to look the line to the R&P so it doesn't run dry but i would assume that to be cake and not as complicated as it's being described here.....

I thought about removing my PS but friends and wife convinced me otherwise....:madrun:

I will be taking out my cruise components though, they don't work after my swap anyway and i wanna clean up my bay :ugh2:

Back