Difference between spirited driving and street racing

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Is there one, or are they one in the same? Both typically involve violation of posted speed limits or road regulations. Both involve the act of operating a vehicle more freely than recommended by law. Is common sense and “limited” abuse of the law pending current driving environment and conditions able to be discerned well enough by the driver to allow for safe spirited driving? Is the mere fact that street racing involves two or more parties what makes it different? If two people are driving spiritedly (say, driving 5-10mph over the posted speed limit, but still signaling when changing lanes and not cutting people off or driving erratically, etc), does that mean they are street racing? Or are speed limits and some road regulations too restrictive this day in age (meaning have a few ruined it for all)? Or is anything other than following the law to a tee completely uncalled for except on a track?

Discuss. And keep it civil, we’re all adults here.

- My opinion -

Street racing… I think of it as abuse of not so much the law, but more importantly of common sense and disregard for safety (both of the driver and those around them). The law is important and is in place to protect drivers, and the limits/regs are what they are because there are all different types of drivers and cars on the road, and only a broad set of standards can be applied to everyone in order to best implement safety. Not to mention any driving environment other than a track is unpredictable, and since street racing constitutes operating a vehicle at much higher speeds than recommended...every variable that could cause an accident plays much more of a key role.

As for spirited driving… I believe the exercising of common sense and regard for safety are what really keep people safe, but let you still have a little fun out there. I believe most speed limits are too low, and that if the following conditions are met, it is okay to slightly exceed a posted speed limit by a small amount or cross a double yellow to take a turn a few mph faster than recommended. But these conditions must apply:

1) There is plenty of daylight
2) Weather conditions are favorable (no rain, ice, snow, etc)
3) You have conducted a safety check of your car’s systems (tires/brakes/suspension/etc)
4) There are no other drivers/cars/pedestrians/property around that could be damaged should you run off the road
5) You have been driving the car for a long time, and know it inside and out.

I do not think driving spiritedly with a friend is usually a good idea, it’s human nature to give in to a competitive spirit and that’s when people make bad decisions. As a result, I would only say I think some spirited driving is okay only when you’re alone, and when the aforementioned conditions apply.

So to me, spirited driving and street racing are different. Double standard? Maybe on certain levels...but again, my opinion.

**NO derogatory or insinuating references are to be made to specific people on this forum or elsewhere who you know have street raced or admitted to unsafe driving. This is purely a rational discourse to discuss the differences/similarities between spirited driving and street racing in general. And anyone here who is for street racing, don’t bother posting.

Last edited:

GoldnKnight22

TWM:TLMF
Reaction score
To me, they are as different as night and day.

I'll give a longer response at some point when I have more time.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
There's also "spirited driving" and "driving like an asshole" .. Some people will probably get those two confused ..

To me, spirited driving is fine, because, unlike driving like an asshole, spirited driving is still done with some moderation, at least when I do it. I don't see anything wrong with breaking a speed limit just for a little while aslong as you still follow pretty much every other rule out there right ? If the street isn't crowded with traffic/pedestrians and the conditions are right, there's nothing wrong with a little bit of spirited driving .. just aslong as you're using your turn signals, not cutting anyone off, not running stop signs, etc.

Last edited:

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I would like to put it out there that technically I am not an adult haha

But on the topic, I think they're different. Personally I will consistently drive 5-15 over, can't help it, it's just how I drive and any slower I am very uncomfortable. I always use my signals, I use my headlights in appropriate weather (ie: in the rain even when its still bright), I don't follow very close, and I have never passed in typical conditions on a double yellow, and hardly have where it's legal, and call me weird but I have never done a rolling stop at a stop sign. I will admit that I do change lanes very aggressively, as in my corners may come close to other cars as sometimes I like to squeeze, it's just enjoyable, although I can see how that is very dangerous so I tend not to. But I have never, and will never do something like playing catch up on the highway or sprinting from a red light.

This all being said, I think that's the difference between street racers, assholes, and average spirited drivers.

Just my .02$.

Mikey

Reaction score
I'll be Captain Obvious for a minute and point out that street racing is the intent to operate your vehicle as fast and as hard as possible in order to beat another person, also doing the same in their vehicle. Street races break speed limits and can often lead to multiple-vehicle crashes.

Spirited driving is driving your car in a spirited manner. Do you exceed the posted speed limits? Sometimes. Maybe. Maybe not. In optimal cases, you are the only passenger.

Racing requires pushing the car to it's limits. Some could argue that so does spirted driving. "If anything, spirited driving is more dangerous because it adds in curves and changes in elevations."

As far as the law is concerned, in my state, they are NOT the same thing. If I'm driving my car on a winding road and I pass a cop, exceeding the posted limit. The most he'll give me is a speeding ticket. If i drifted passed him, maybe a wreckless driving ticket.

If you're caught street racing, it's almost an automatic arrest, impound of your car and you get hit with speeding, wreckless driving, wreckless endangerment, disturbing the peace, etc etc.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
a$$holes - drive recklessly at lower speed

spirited drivers - drive +20 to +30mph above speed limit without reckless maneuvering when conditions permit it (good weather, less traffic, etc) for personal pleasure

street racers - drive +30 to +50mph above speed limit with reckless maneuvering in unsafe conditions (bad weather, heavy traffic) for personal gains, be it monetarily or for bragging rights

and no, i didn't wiki this :lawl:
it's my personal view of this topic

kevo

Reaction score
I would like to put it out there that technically I am not an adult haha

But on the topic, I think they're different. Personally I will consistently drive 5-15 over, can't help it, it's just how I drive and any slower I am very uncomfortable. I always use my signals, I use my headlights in appropriate weather (ie: in the rain even when its still bright), I don't follow very close, and I have never passed in typical conditions on a double yellow, and hardly have where it's legal, and call me weird but I have never done a rolling stop at a stop sign. I will admit that I do change lanes very aggressively, as in my corners may come close to other cars as sometimes I like to squeeze, it's just enjoyable, although I can see how that is very dangerous so I tend not to. But I have never, and will never do something like playing catch up on the highway or sprinting from a red light.

This all being said, I think that's the difference between street racers, assholes, and average spirited drivers.

Just my .02$.

I agree with I'm young so it just feels normal to drive faster then the posted speed limit. I "speed" to keep a safe distance away from all the other drivers who can't seem to drive, tailgate, and not signal. But I do see that my driving style will have to change due to me having a baby in the car soon so now it is time to turn on the grandpa switch to insure the safety of my son. :peace:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the difference is simple...so simple, it's one word...

competition.

competition creates not only a psychological change, but also a physiological one. ask anyone who's played a single player video game, then gone on xbox live. ask a professional driver who's led the last 50 laps why he spun on the last corner. or a 90% free throw shooter why he missed the "and one."

your desire to beat the other guy suspends good judgement when street racing.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
i dont race because its stupid and my car is slow. i drive spirited because its fun on winding back roads. i never push further than i know my stupid car can go, and i know this things limits haha.

if i see a couple douches flying through back roads day or night, crossing double yellows to pass and stuff, then i complain about them. if i see an older guy in a corvette taking the weekend cruiser out for some fun, its a thumbs up. i see street racing as malicious, while spirited driving as...well...spirited

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
the difference is simple...so simple, it's one word...

competition.

competition creates not only a psychological change, but also a physiological one. ask anyone who's played a single player video game, then gone on xbox live. ask a professional driver who's led the last 50 laps why he spun on the last corner. or a 90% free throw shooter why he missed the "and one."

your desire to beat the other guy suspends good judgement when street racing.

very valid point

Back