Difference in airbags?!

sweagle02

Reaction score
I recently purchased an OEM gray leather steering wheel that came from a 2002 EX V6 and when my mechanic went to install it, he said the airbag from the new steering wheel did not connect to my 2002 LX I4. Is there a difference here in airbags I wasn't aware of? Do they differ in year, trim or V6/I4? :huh: Please shed some insight on this issue guys, thanks!

kn0x47

Reaction score
i believe there are 1 stage and 2 stage airbags but i thought all 6thgens were the same

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
if its from the same year, it should fit. im not sure, but i dont think they should be different. maybe the airbag you got isnt from an 02?

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
02 LX I4 and 02 EX V6 both have 2 stage bags on both sides.

The coupe and sedan bags are different though, in relation to how long the wire harness is, I think.

The easiest way to tell if a bag or vehicle is 1 stage or 2 stage is to look at the wiring harnesses. 1 stage bags have a 2 pin connector and 2 stage bags have a 4 pin connector.

** Do so at your own risk
If the bag you bought is 1 stage and you want to put it in a 2 stage car, your mechanic could do some wiring and replace the connector. The first inflator has yellow wires and the second inflator has red wires on the airbag. Between the clock spring and airbag, all the wires are blue for both inflators (4 wires). Between the SRS unit and the clockspring, the first inflator is a GRN and a GRN/BLK pair of wires. The second inflator is a GRN/WHT and a GRN/YEL pair. It's possible all 4 are green. In theory, a 1 stage bag could be connected to a 2 stage unit by only using the 1st stage wiring, as that would inflate first and inflate the entire bag.

sweagle02

Reaction score
I bought the steering wheel from the user "nvpdmx " who has a for sale thread up. He says it's from an '02 V6 EX Sedan. The airbag from the steering wheel I bought has a two pin combo which according to Finch means it's a 1 stage bag. Judging from the fact that the airbag connectors were not compatible with my '02 I4 LX Sedan, does that mean I have a 2 stage airbag?! I just find it strange.

finch13

Reaction score
Well, since your mechanical said the connectors didn't match and the wiring diagram from AllData shows 2 stage wiring, I would say it's safe to assume your car is 2 stage.

I just verified it. 98-00 I4 & V6 Accords are one stage, 01-02 I4 & V6 Accords are two stage.

finch13

Reaction score
Nope, but in theory, he could still use it and just have the SRS blow the single stage bag when it triggers the first inflator. Now that I think of it... maybe it's not the best idea. Who knows if a single stage and dual stage SRS unit put out the same current to the inflators... I wonder if the dual stage unit uses less current because the 2 inflators aren't as big as a single... I dunno. The 2002 SRS unit has a 15A and 10A fuse for it, diagram doesn't show what circuit the fuses go to inside the SRS unit.

sweagle, just play it safe and get the correct airbag if you can. Hopefully the member you got it from isn't a complete douche and will give you a refund. He's kinda caught red handed for lying...

Back