Differential bearing help needed on BAXA

daniel94

Reaction score
I've got a 2000 LX I4 sedan with the BAXA automatic in it. I've read in many places that the differential bearings (some people are calling carrier bearings) are the real common failure that these automatics have (that then leads to other problems as they fail).

To test the bearing, I've heard that I should just check for play by pushing the passenger axle up and down near the transmission, but how much play (if any) is considered normal? There is some play in the bearing but it's very little currently.

We were told by a local dealership that the transmission needed to be replaced, but it seems that one of the solenoids wasn't functioning properly, so I replaced it, and it is shifting some better. However, in changing the fluid, I did notice some (not a lot) of metal particles on the drain plug magnet.

Is this normal for these transmissions to have some metal particles on the magnet, or does having any at all point to an impending bearing failure?:eh:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I've got a 2000 LX I4 sedan with the BAXA automatic in it. I've read in many places that the differential bearings (some people are calling carrier bearings) are the real common failure that these automatics have (that then leads to other problems as they fail).

To test the bearing, I've heard that I should just check for play by pushing the passenger axle up and down near the transmission, but how much play (if any) is considered normal? There is some play in the bearing but it's very little currently.

We were told by a local dealership that the transmission needed to be replaced, but it seems that one of the solenoids wasn't functioning properly, so I replaced it, and it is shifting some better. However, in changing the fluid, I did notice some (not a lot) of metal particles on the drain plug magnet.

Is this normal for these transmissions to have some metal particles on the magnet, or does having any at all point to an impending bearing failure?:eh:

my bearing were shot. The added vibration caused the seals between the axle and the tranny to come lose and leak atf all over the ground. I figured it was time to say bye. It shifted alright though. Its normal to have a little bit of particles. I had so much on my magnet that it was about an inch thick of this goo stuck on there.

daniel94

Reaction score
my bearing were shot. The added vibration caused the seals between the axle and the tranny to come lose and leak atf all over the ground. I figured it was time to say bye. It shifted alright though. Its normal to have a little bit of particles. I had so much on my magnet that it was about an inch thick of this goo stuck on there.

Thanks. That does help. Based on that, I hope the problems were just the failed solenoid and dirty fluid. (The previous owner was following the owner's manual recommended 30k change intervals, and it was just about time for another of those, so the fluid was very dark.)

The magnet wasn't even fully coated after about 28k on the fluid. I'll be changing the fluid a lot more frequently now. :cool: :)

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Thanks. That does help. Based on that, I hope the problems were just the failed solenoid and dirty fluid. (The previous owner was following the owner's manual recommended 30k change intervals, and it was just about time for another of those, so the fluid was very dark.)

The magnet wasn't even fully coated after about 28k on the fluid. I'll be changing the fluid a lot more frequently now. :cool: :)

You should invest in a remote transmission filter for your auto tranny. It will be the best investment along with your transmission fluid changes. Search for it on this forum or on yahoo.

Back