dim HID

NINaudio

Reaction score
So, I had an issue with my HID setup, specifically the passenger side. It would come on very dim at first and then eventually go to full power after 5-10 minutes. I swapped bulbs from driver to passenger side and the problem stayed on the passenger side. This kit is probably around 5 years old. I got it from superhids.com when they first went into business. It's a McCulloch 6000k and I don't know the wattage of the ballast, I would think it is 35w. Is this a ballast problem? Do I simply need a new ballast?

NINaudio

Reaction score
So you think it's a ballast issue as opposed to a wiring issue? I was thinking of picking up one of the 35w slim ballast kits from DDM. I've been using halogens for a while and I really miss my HID's. lol

I see lots of mention about people using relays. I never had one for the HID's and they worked flawlessly for years. Is this something I would need for the DDM kit?

finch13

Reaction score
If you haven't use one for years, I wouldn't bother. It's mostly for the peace of mind and the DDM ballasts are good.

The 5 year old ballast you had probably weren't even digital and the analog components probably wore out and didn't correctly stabilize the voltage any more.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
BTW

Try swapping the ballasts to see iff the problem happens on the other side.
If it does, the problem is you ballast

dynasty

Reaction score
Also, you might be interested to read this article about McCulloch kits not being genuine McCulloch products. http://hidreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=47&Itemid=1

to be a little off topic about this, McCulloch kits could still be sold other than North American due to D.O.T. approval. they could still sell in other countries which those countries could sell it as a third party and ship it to the North America. but to make sure it's authentic, i'm not sure.

NINaudio

Reaction score
WHo the hell are you
LOL

What's up stranger

I'm not sure who I am. :)

Not much, still got the Accord, I keep thinking of getting rid of it, but I never seem to be able to. lol

Looks like a DDM kit will be on my short list. Now to decide between 5000K and 6000K. I had 6000K previously, and I liked them except when it rained, then the light seemed to scatter too much. Don't know if DDM's 6000K would be the same as my 6000K though. Mostly white with a light blue tint.

Back