Disassembling A Coilover

Stee-Bo

Reaction score
I recently ordered a new shock for my coilover since mines was damaged. When disassembling and assembling the coilover would I by any chance need an air gun to tighten it, or can I just use an ordinary ratchet set. I am changing the rear coilover of function and form type I

turbo_911

Reaction score
You wouldnt need spring compressors and with air gun it would be easier to take top nut off but you can do it with ratchet too. I did both ways. Very simple.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
all you have to do is unloosen the spring perch so the spring has alot of slack. i had to replace a stud on my type ones

001Stunna

Reaction score
-Loosen the lower spring perch so the spring is free/uncompressed at all.
-Now loosen the lower spring perch further more so theres room for you to grab the shiny exposed shaft with your hand(NOT PLIERS or a WRENCH)
-Set the coilover to full soft if adjustable(some will say "why"...my reasoning is that full soft means more oil orifices open, meaning if you somehow cause any sort of tension/motion it'll be more smooth riding for the shaft and less chance you can somehow fawk something up)
-While holding the shaft with your hand(put a rubber glove on for more grip), use an air gun(best means i'd think) to loosen the middle nut. The reason for holding the shaft is to not cause any highspeed turning inside of it that could ruin or mess up any sort of seal. Try to loosen the nut in one shot.
-After that nut is loose carefully lift the upper mount making sure nothing falls out of place.
-Take out the spring and locking perches and lower mount and the rubber bellow.
-Look at old shock in disgust and as you swear at it for blowing you clean the lower mount and lube its threads with some silicone spray.
-Grab the new shock and lube the lower threads with some silicone spray. Spin on the two spring perches, and lower mount. Place the rubber bellow in and the spring.
-Put the top mount on and work the upper middle nut by hand until hand tight.
-Figure out the torque(see below) to be used on the middle nut and try to set it at that. Don't forget the rubber glove and to hold the shaft again.
-Go have a beer or ask the significant other for a sammich.
-While eating the sammich and drinkin the beer dig a hole to bury the old shock.

Front:
Top Rod Nut 29 Nm (22 ft. lbs.)
Upper Mount Nuts:
10 x 1.25 mm 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
8 x 1.25 mm 17 Nm (12 ft. lbs.)

Rear:
Mounting Plate Nuts 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
Bottom Attaching Bolt 59 Nm (43 ft. lbs.)
Bottom Attaching Nut 39 Nm (29 ft. lbs.)

Last edited:

Elite1JDM

Reaction score
-Loosen the lower spring perch so the spring is free/uncompressed at all.
-Now loosen the lower spring perch further more so theres room for you to grab the shiny exposed shaft with your hand(NOT PLIERS or a WRENCH)
-Set the coilover to full soft if adjustable(some will say "why"...my reasoning is that full soft means more oil orifices open, meaning if you somehow cause any sort of tension/motion it'll be more smooth riding for the shaft and less chance you can somehow fawk something up)
-While holding the shaft with your hand(put a rubber glove on for more grip), use an air gun(best means i'd think) to loosen the middle nut. The reason for holding the shaft is to not cause any highspeed turning inside of it that could ruin or mess up any sort of seal. Try to loosen the nut in one shot.
-After that nut is loose carefully lift the upper mount making sure nothing falls out of place.
-Take out the spring and locking perches and lower mount and the rubber bellow.
-Look at old shock in disgust and as you swear at it for blowing you clean the lower mount and lube its threads with some silicone spray.
-Grab the new shock and lube the lower threads with some silicone spray. Spin on the two spring perches, and lower mount. Place the rubber bellow in and the spring.
-Put the top mount on and work the upper middle nut by hand until hand tight.
-Figure out the torque(see below) to be used on the middle nut and try to set it at that. Don't forget the rubber glove and to hold the shaft again.
-Go have a beer or ask the significant other for a sammich.
-While eating the sammich and drinkin the beer dig a hole to bury the old shock.

Front:
Upper Mount Nuts:
10 x 1.25 mm 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
8 x 1.25 mm 17 Nm (12 ft. lbs.)

Rear:
Mounting Plate Nuts 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
Bottom Attaching Bolt 59 Nm (43 ft. lbs.)
Bottom Attaching Nut 39 Nm (29 ft. lbs.)

lol! dam this is comedy! aye you know your stuff dude!

Back