distributor quitting?

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
I've had the typical dashboard lights flash intermittently at me, brake, battery, and all the door adjacent ones. Now initially I replaced the alternator knowing mine was on its way out anyway and could be the source of the issue.

That was a month and a half ago, worked beautifully and no more alternator squeal... Then the dash started up again, at first I thought I was seeing things they were so brief, but it's become more pronounced quite quickly and now happens mostly under load/under load on rough roads. Fuel filter was just swapped today as well.

My question is this: are these symptoms of the distributor going out? I'm not hearing the engine bog when the lights flicker, but I'm also getting symptoms similar to the ones seen in the v6 hot soak thread ('cept it's a Canadian v6 and a 98) where after 20ish minutes, starting up leads to the engine stalling out within seconds unless I apply throttle around the 2k mark for 30-40s and it settles down. There are traces of oil on the distributor housing itself (from what I can tell, top only) and I have my suspicions it's original equipment so was planning on replacing the cap and rotor.

More than anything, I'm looking for someone else whose had a similar set of issues to see how they fixed it (because ****** electrical gremlins)

I apologize for the essay, tl:dr: distributor leaking some oil, cars stalling out on starting after recently being run, and I have dashboard lights flickering at me but no CEL.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back