DIY: 5 Dollar Short Shifter

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I like this actually. I was going to have my friend grind and weld the stock bracket with the bolt higher up but this is adjustable.

As for it being "ghetto," with just different hadware it look better and function the same.

As for the "mentality" i'm with you too. When i had my dsm, it was either buy a B&M for money, get an adapter that usually had issues with hitting pannels, or make your own. I did what i described above except kept the stock "bolt" and had another welded on where i felt was best.

ManyLivesToLive

Reaction score
I don't want to sound like a dick,but I'm kind of scratching my head as to noone else is pointing out the obvious here.:thinking:

...that brass screw is bent to hell already. How long until you think it will fail completely?

I'm just saying, it would really suck if you power-shifted your car one night when you are 20 miles from home and it broke....I've had linkages do that far from home, and it's not really too much fun rigging stuff on the side of the highway.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
That's all hardware though. You can get stronger stuff, or weld. Plus, powershifting is really not ever necessary on the street. If you are racing, you can shift fast but not hard too. I know a bunch of DSM guys who would break there adapters while what i said above (rewelding) works great. But the dudes who broke there adapters compared to the others that didn't weren't running faster. You don't have to slam gears and with an accord tranny, it's not like we have rough sycros and have to "man handle" it.

Sorry for the rant, i just never understood slamming gears except in cars that are hard to shift (old 4 speeds).

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i will say that for 2 weeks, it has not failed me yet. powershifting has not failed me.

i did break one but i caused it by tightening down too much. i noted this in the diy

i feel like on this site we buy too many things. we tell ppl to buy this or get tht. or we pay "professionals" to install stuff for us. but how many times have we had professionals screw up something?

the only DIY we stress is black house lights. whats so wrong with getting your hands dirty and workin on your car? take my idea and make it better.

Macsrule15

Reaction score
^+1

i saw this about a week ago when searching for something else and thought it was a cool idea but the execution was sub par i might try something like this out a solid block of billet myself and widdle it down to short shifter! haha

Back