DIY: Catch Can for 6th Gen Accords

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Precisely. So by 'head' you actually meant Intake Manifold.. gotcha..:coffee:

Under WOT (track) conditions - I think that vacuum would be increased in the crankcase, therefore recirculating the components, and not shoving them to intake manifold like you have pictured in the second picture, especially due to his hose angles.

AFAccord - may we have some input from you about this please?

Last edited:

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
if you remove the pcv valve all together, recirculating wont be an issue

AFAccord

Reaction score
Russian-

In short, yes I believe in your logic. You pretty much restated what I said earlier.

The technically correct way to do this would be to either have a breather filter on the left orfice, or have it connected to the intake. Honda intended that orfice to allow fresh air to enter, while the PCV valve draws air out, effectively flushing the contaminated gasses out with fresh air.

But what I said after that is the reason I set it up like I did...

AFAccord said:
My concern is that at idle, that left orfice is actually expelling the contaminated gases, and if connected to the intake, would be contaminating the intake charge.

This actually sounds like an oxymoron in itself lol, but that might be a sign of a problem occurring on my end.

Finch-

Some incorrect info there bro. The vacuum that the engine creates is enough to draw air from both of those holes the way I currently have it connected. There's no recirculation there. Russian said it right though. Air should be entering the head from the left hole and exiting via the PCV.

Also, vacuum is only generated at idle, and partial throttle conditions. At WOT, there is 0 vacuum. Vacuum is generated by the pistons moving downward, drawing air into the motor, but when the throttle plate is closed, there is no air to enter, and that's where your vacuum comes from. At WOT there's no more restriction to create vacuum. It's just flowing air. You don't check for vacuum leaks at WOT do you? :)

PSYCHO-

Your first sentence is dead on. The second one though is a little off. Since the hose connects to the intake, not the intake manifold, it is NOT seeing vacuum. Only ports AFTER the throttle plate see vacuum. The rest of the intake sees only flowing air at regular atmospheric pressure. :thumbsup:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
:thumbsup: We got this now.

Jason, at idle, do you have a pretty strong vacuum going into the left hole? You should. no gasses and definitely no oil should be expelled from the left hole at idle. Check it out, because like I said I removed my intake specifically and investigated this to find that there was no evidence of oil/expelled air at all from that port.

If you find that you have no oil and a strong vacuum, then reconnecting the line may be better. Would you say so?

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Like I said, long day at work and I'm tired. The only way any of us can proved we're right is to go out and test it. If there is enough vacuum to prevent recirc, then by all means, that's a good setup.

AFAccord

Reaction score
:thumbsup: We got this now.

Jason, at idle, do you have a pretty strong vacuum going into the left hole? You should. no gasses and definitely no oil should be expelled from the left hole at idle. Check it out, because like I said I removed my intake specifically and investigated this to find that there was no evidence of oil/expelled air at all from that port.

If you find that you have no oil and a strong vacuum, then reconnecting the line may be better. Would you say so?

Haha, that's my problem. Currently, I have gases pulsing out of the left hole. I seriously doubt any oil is escaping from that side though. Hopefully It's not excessive blow-by gasses pushing all that air out of the hole. Might just be a clogged PCV valve. :p

finch13

Reaction score
I went out and tried this myself...

CRW_5309.jpg

No steel wool yet.... Lowe's didn't have anything coarse enough... I didn't know the sintered brass filter that came with it filtered up to 5µ...

I did one thing differently...

CRW_5308.jpg

Instead of excessive pressure pushing against the spring and opening the valve to drain water, I disassembled the valve and moved the spring to the outside, the spring holds the valve shut and the higher the pressure in the tank, the tighter the seal. Because NAPA didn't have vacuum plugs...and I didn't feeling like mixing epoxy at 10 PM

After installing it.... a) i drove a few miles on the freeway and to work this morning.... no oil at lunch... and b) after I come down from high idle the car has an insanely low idle (gauge reading 100-200 rpm) anyone know why that would be?

Just to rule out any newb ****, yes everything is securely connected, yes the flow arrow on the filter is pointing the correct way. Only thing I can think of is that brass filter in there doesn't allow enough flow with 5µ holes and the relatively low vacuum pressure.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Disconnect one end at a time, and make sure you are getting proper vacuum/pressure from the proper holes. To see which is which, read previous posts.
If you are not getting enough pressure/vacuum, then your engine bogs down. I tried it just to experiment haha.

Also - resize the pictures please ffs. :)

Back