DIY CCFL parking light (lots of pics)

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
ok so i finally got around to replacing my ccfl parking light and I took some pics so I can finally deliver the write-up I promised.

I used CCFL tubes from oznium.com clicky. your going to need to order one 12" white CCFL kit and one extra transformer. This is all shipped to your door for like $17 so its a pretty cheap mod.

ok these are all the tools I used.
img1084c.jpg

-heat gun
-soldering iron w/solder
-heat shrink wrap
-wire cutter/stripper
-screw driver

First thing you wanna do is open up your head light. directions to do so here.

once the headlight is open remove the two screw that hold the reflector bucket to the lense.then separate the headlight and remove the amber strips
housing_screws.jpg

next you need to get your CCFL tube ready for install. First wrap some electrical tape around the end of the tube where the cord comes out in order to keep the cord from being pulled out.
img1072z.jpg

which I think may be the reason my first tube ended up like this.
img1068i.jpg

and compared to the new tube.
img1069l.jpg

next tape the cord to one of the flat sides of the end of the tube facing back towards the center of the tube.
img1074r.jpg

next slide the taped end under the front of the "black housing" on the high beam side where your amber strip used to be. Slide it under enough that the other end of the tube clears the other end of the reflector opening.
img1077c.jpg

Then slide the other end under enough that both sides are about equally under the "blackhousing".
img1076ak.jpg

Next bolt your reflector bucket back to the lens. You can put some 3m tape on the tube to secure it if you'd like but mine was plenty tight once I tightened the reflector bucket down. (That may not be the case for you as I have the lenses from my old ebay projectors instead of the stock stanly lenses.)
img1078d.jpg

then you wanna tape the wire's to the back of the reflector bucket to keep them from pulling on the tube if you move the wires.
img1079c.jpg

After that you seal your headlights back up, and then put some tape on the wire out side of the back of the housing both to cover the hole and keep the wire from falling inside the headlight.
img1081fg.jpg

For the wiring take the bulb holder that held your old parking light bulbs and cut it off. the passanger side has two power wires for some reason and the driver's side has one. (sorry no pictures of this part since I already cut my bulb holders off a while ago)

Nest take your the red wire from your CCFL kit and wire it to the red wire that was hooked to the bulb holder.
(mine has an extra wire cause I also have the power to my fog lights wired into my parking lights)
img1088l.jpg

once you solder those two wires together seal them up with your shrink wrap.
img1089w.jpg

repeat this for your ground (black) wire so that your wiring looks like this.
img1092p.jpg

thats about it, everything else is plug and play.

daytime shot
18333_1243809266552_1568970602_30750539_3965059_n.jpg

night shot
img0678t.jpg

night shot with 5k hid
img0680r.jpg

The new CCFL's installed.
img1116u.jpg

with my 5k HID and nokya yellow high beams :naughty:
img1114kj.jpg

Last edited:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
Re: CCFL tube DIY (soon to be)

new tube should be here next week so expect this to be an actual DIY within the next week or two.

AccordFlex

Reaction score

Good stuff. Ive been waiting for a DIY for this. Cant wait to see it

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

replacement tube is here. Gotta take the car for emissions tomorrow but after that I'm going to redo the light.

VonDubz

Reaction score

Good Luck! hoep you get your license back sooon

dadams

Reaction score
nice job pat.... id love to do this but 1 im broke and 2 im lazy

smerf

Reaction score
Great write up. Post some pics of what it looks like on the car itself.

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
I'll have to do that later, I had to order two new transformers cause I didn't know you weren't supposed to cover the holes on the top of them cause they're vent holes so both my transformers overheated and don't work right lol. so make sure you DON'T TAPE OVER THE VENT HOLES ON THE TRANSFORMERS OR THEY WILL OVERHEAT AND MALFUNCTION!!!!!

Back