DIY:Coilover Clean/Un-Seize;On car

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Some have notice that it seems like our coilovers are a magnet to rust,rocks,and other grime.They tend to get stuck very easily.Seem almost impossible to get loose.
This is just a quick job that worked on all 4 of mine. **Others may need a air-hammer,and flat fitting to bust loose the collar like I did months ago.**

Simple tools needed,*Just what I had in my tool box*
-Coilover Collar wrenches
-Rubber mallet
-Simple Green
-PB blaster
-Brass brush
-Shop towels.
*Safety glasses-When Brushing the threads it tends to flick the pb or simple green in your eyes
CIMG1963.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CIMG1961.jpg

1)Spray down the entire coilover from tophat to bottom mounting with simple green.Let it sit for a few mins.
2)Get the Brass brush and clean the threads from rocks,grime,ect.To help prevent the risk of thread damage when spinning the collar.
3) wipe down the coilover with the rag,thread part and all,to get all loose dirt off to see any missed spots.
4)Repeat with PB blaster,But only spray the collar,and threads. Let sit for a few mins.
CIMG1964.jpg

5)Using the rubber mallet give the collar and the base of the coilover a few good hits.*not damaging the coilover tho
-Keeping the threads soaked with PB blaster-
6)take your wrench/flathead and set it in place and hit it with the mallet.Should bust loose.But could use some elbow grease.
CIMG1965.jpg

There are many ways to do this,I found this quick,free,and easy while on the car.This may work for yours,it may not.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
nice write up, this will definitely help out some noobs in the future, haha. i hope thats all ill have to do, cuz im pretty sure my rears are pretty well seized haha.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
i say its a nice write up, but what if the lower sleeve is seized and not the collar? you would probably have to use heat to unseize it like what i did to mines.

Accord281

Reaction score
I just removed my f2's for the winter. All 4 of them are seized. In retrospect, I think it would be a good idea to put a thick layer of really thick grease around the top of the collar so that dust can't get into the threads. I would be willing to bet that would work really well. I know the grease would collect dirt pretty fast, but it should stay on the surface and not work its way inside. Every few months, you could just wipe off the old grease and apply some fresh stuff.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
well i dont know if this helps you but since i had a huge tub of it and didnt know what do do with it... i greased up my coils with axle/marinesport grease and its been pretty good with adjusting it. I have a tub from my bike since they only sell in large tubs and i only needed a finger full for my bike... i am finding other ways to make use of it

MrLazie1

Reaction score
I just removed my f2's for the winter. All 4 of them are seized. In retrospect, I think it would be a good idea to put a thick layer of really thick grease around the top of the collar so that dust can't get into the threads. I would be willing to bet that would work really well. I know the grease would collect dirt pretty fast, but it should stay on the surface and not work its way inside. Every few months, you could just wipe off the old grease and apply some fresh stuff.

i used anti seized on mines and it works good.

Back