DIY video on how to change your Timing/B on ur 98-2002 4cyl accord.

addicted2hondaz

Reaction score
excuse the bumping of this old thread,better than making a new thread and getting flamed for not searching and getting "not another one of these thread "type of responses(found this thread on the diy master list) anyway i need a list of all items needed for proper timing maintainance so far what i see i need is timing belt , water pump, and balance shaft. anything else i need or should replace....dont pm me as i think it would be a good idea to write it on here for anyone else looking for this same info best idea would be if mods take best response and move it to the front page...

addicted2hondaz

Reaction score
lol nvm i think i may have stumble upon it right after i posted heres i list i found ...anyone think there should be things added or taken out of this list??

TIMING BELT (oem # 14400-PAA-A02)
WATER PUMP (oem #19200-P0A-003)
BALANCE SHAFT BELT (oem # 13405-PAA-A03)
A/C COMPRESSOR BELT (oem # 38920-PAA-A01)
P/S PUMP BELT (oem # 56992-PAA-A01)
CAMSHAFT OIL SEAL (oem # 91213-PT0-003)
CRANK OIL SEAL (oem # 91212-PAA-A01)
BALANCE SHAFT OIL SEAL (oem # 91233-PT0-003)
OIL DRIVE GEAR SEAL (oem # 15114-PT0-003)

these are oem stock number for 4cyl as far as i kno

BMArias15

Reaction score
Looks about right to me... just need to add HEad gasket (oem# 12251-PAA-A02) and its COMPLETE!

Last edited:

kijunglee1234

Reaction score
while the valve cover is off since you need it to take the timing cover off. valve cover gasket, spark plug gaskets, valve adjustment. thing about the seals. it is recommended but it shouldn't be taken lightly!!!!! if you scratch the bore, you could be in trouble. i didn't have an impact. i used a propane torch, and heated very lightly. took about ten minutes and tried at least 5 times before my cheater bar worked and i didnt wait till it was glowing hot. guestimated about 200 degrees and a crap load of pb blaster. no leaks!!! i see it as a replace when leaking. unprofessional, i know.
i replaced:
timing belt
balancer belt
timing tensioner
balance tensioner
p/s belt
alternator belt
gaskets
water pump
inspected all the pulleys and sprockets for nicks/damage.

i was thinking about writing a diy but i wouldn't have pictures and that would piss a lot of people off lol
thing about the crank bolt: it is lefty loosey righty tighty. just in case you contemplated the thought, being that the engine turns counterclock wise.
the crank bolt torque is 181 foot pounds.
when you put the balancer belt on, you need it in top dead center and align both balance shafts.
have any questions?
[email protected]
i'd appreciate reminding me of this post from 6ga.
i had alldata when i did mine. much better and a lot more accurate than haynes or chiltons.
trust me :)
DIY? yes or no?

theDAALcall

Reaction score
the video doesn't work...your account on youtube been terminated....please post the video on a different website

Back