DIY: Vtec indicator light

JSato

Reaction score
I know led lights don't use much electricity, but would I be able to use 15 led light? I'd really like my car to light up with I use my v tech, it looks cool at night forsure

10secvtec

Reaction score
i did this a couple of min ago and my led wont turn on could it be my ground ? i got from the passenger seat the left bolt thats were im getting ground from. i wierd everything like except that!

OhSoSlow

Reaction score
Hey well after doing this mod, and seeing some ppl were having problems, i decided to post up this DIY.
I chose to tape instead of soldering becase i dont have a soldering iron, and i would be afraid of belting the Vtec wire

Steps: 20

Time: 10-15 Minutes

Materials:
- 1 Led of your choice
- 1 Resistor ( i used a 330 ohm 1/4 watt)
- 2-5 ft of wire/ speaker cable
- Scissors
- wrench or pliers
- black/electrical tape

Optional Materials:
- Soldering Iron
- Wire Tap-in
- Butt Conectors
- Drill
- Enough gas to go test it
- 6 pack of beer :D

resistor not shown*
DSCN1278.jpg

Step 1: Solder/tape led, reistor, and wire.

Step 2: Unplug your battery, just in case.

Step 3: Mount your led wherever you want
DSCN1276.jpg

Step 4: Pull the carpet back from the Paaengers left foot
DSCN1254.jpg

Step 5: Locate the ECU.
DSCN1255.jpg

Step 6: Unplug 3 of the connectors.
DSCN1257-1.jpg

Step 7: Cut the HUGE zip tie so you can pull the wires closer to you.
DSCN1259.jpg

Step 8: Take the black tape off of the Big grey connector
DSCN1263.jpg

Step 9: Locate the Vtec wire
WARNING there are 2 green and yellow wires on that same connector
green with a yellow stripe ( vtec wire )
yellow with a green stripe (not vtec)
DSCN1264.jpg

Step 10: Splice the vtec wire, and attach the wire to the led.
DSCN1268.jpg

Step 11: Tape/Solder both wires together
DSCN1269.jpg

Step 12: Tape all of the wires from that connector together;
DSCN1270.jpg

Step 13: Plug back in all 3 connectors on to the ECU.
DSCN1271.jpg

Step 14: Put the carpet back on, and dont forget this little guy.
DSCN1273.jpg

Step 15: Now choose a ground point, run the wire, and ground it.
I chose the seat bracket.
DSCN1274.jpg

Step 16: Put up all the mess you've made. :confused:

Step 17: Give yourself a pat on the back for doin a good job. :D

Step 18: Get in the car and turn on the engine. :thumbsup:

Step 19: Test it! :driving:

Step 20: If it works, then your done! :peace:

hey guys just to shed a new light on this... i did my car this weekend and turns out that u should have been more specific.. the I4 vtec wire is green/yellow.. but the v6 is blue/yellow stripe... mine came out really nice though..
check it out..
http://www.yousendit.com/download/bVlBblFDTk1qV0N4dnc9PQ

Yeah, the OP should make it clearer I did the same mistake. BTW the vtec wire is the same for v4 and v6.

Its only a led afterall..

Read the posts closer... The 4 cyl and v6 are different wires for VTEC.

ok...so we have a solution...for all the egotistical noobs like myself, here is the extreme dummies version.....
1) pull carpet
2) if you have the v6 like me, pull the grey plug closest to the firewall
3) locate blue wire with green stripe
4) splice into it with the postitve side
5) run a ground to somewhere...
6) run both wires back to wherever you're installing it
7) finally, don't be stupid like me and sit there and rev the engine and wonder why it's not coming on....granted I haven't own a honda in a while, but I know better....ACTUALLY TAKE IT ON THE STREET BEFORE YOU THINK YOU TAPPED THE WRONG WIRE....
8) probably more important than anything (i found this out the hard way)....if you are placing the LED in the extra slot to the left of the steering wheel, make sure you don't drill the hole bigger than the LED....now i have to get a bigger one to fill the hole..
Thank you and goodnight...:squintwave:

Just for other V6'ers out there...

The wire may be blue and YELLOW, not blue and green. Had a bit of confusion myself until finding a post that confirmed it.

i connected mine's to the third grey connector on the green with yellow stripe wire and it worked fine with mines.

btw mines a 98 v6

With all this being said, what color do I tap into? I really don't want to tap into the wrong wire .. We are talking about the ECU here, and I really don't want to have any CELs. I have a v6/J30 2dr. Is it the green with yellow stripe? Is it blue with yellow stripe? Or is it blue with green stripe? I appreciate all information & time thanks in advanced.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
if yall are afraid to do a lil splicing, or in the matter, any kind of work that might hurt the car or the value of it

then dont work on it, simple as that

OhSoSlow

Reaction score
if yall are afraid to do a lil splicing, or in the matter, any kind of work that might hurt the car or the value of it

then dont work on it, simple as that

Thanks for the opinion that wasn't asked for. Looking for facts. No point in splicing a wire that doesn't need to be spliced into. I just don't want to waste time really. Just want to get it done in one go.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
then my opinion, since there are conflicting information, would be to find a haynes manual or an ELM and find out which wire is the vtec wire

chaby_91

Reaction score
My opinion is
Don't bother doing it. It's cool and everything at the beginning but in the end, it's a little not so good looking LED that seems to light up semi randomly since our VTEC is variable.

I sold my accord that had it and I won't do it again. Get a CAI/SRI or DIY. Then, in the low 2k rpm, go WOT. You'll hear it very well but won't feel a thing.

CreepyWilly

Reaction score
Just an idea, sounds ricey but man i'd love to see that. Cutout in your fenders the letters VTEC. Find a way to ''screen'' the hole hermetically. Mount a box of leds behind the VTEC screen previously made. Do the wiring.

Back