DIY- Wheel painting

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
Ok so I was really debating doing this over going out and buying some rotas, but I really like the factory wheels so I decided to go with the painting method. After doing the research I came to the conclusion that Duplicolor paint and clearcoat is the only way to go. I've done this in the past with "other" paint, but it just doesn't turn out right. I wanted a bronze color, but nowhere in the southeast sells it and im too impatient to wait, so I went with black. Here is how it went down.
1) took off the wheels and popped out the center caps. (I am not fortunate enough to own a tire remover, so I painted the rims on the tires.)
2) sanded down with 2000 grit sand paper. granted my wheel had no rash or anything, so it wasn't a big deal for me just to use light sandpaper.
3) after the wheels are sanded down, you need to get a good degreaser and wipe them down.
4) Next I taped off the tires, now this was the most time consuming part, and if I would have has vasoline, I would have done that method. Its much easier to get off.
5) I didn't use any primer, because the paint is an enamel which will act as a primer when the clearcoat is put on. I sprayed a light coat, just enough to cover the rim. let dry and put on a heavy coat to gloss it. you have to be careful, because at the angle you have to paint at, running the paint is easy to do.
6) after my final base coats, I put on two coats of clear coat and finished 'er up and put the wheels back on.

they really turned out well, considering the 15 bucks i spent on paint. It cost more to get a new set of lugs to match. I later went back and gave the lip a red stripe, to give it a little color, but they look good.
here is the finished product:

Bada$$VTec

Reaction score
looks good i did the same thing with mine a while back except i didnt paint the center caps but ima have to re-do it again cuz the stupid ppl at maaco got some over spray on them while painting my car.

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
eh, doesnt look bad, but im not really a fan of painting stock wheels, especially the ones that come with these cars.
that's cool...but I do, as I said. It's not like I'm painting the hubcaps... Regardless, it takes me back to the days of the 00 si fat fives....loved those rims..loved that car,....why did i sell it again..hmmm

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
Here are the daytime close ups.

The red strip was definitely the hardest part...getting it straight was a pain.

Back