Do or Don't: Aftermarket rear bearing/hub assembly?

arise257

Reaction score
Here's my situation:

I've got some nice cross-drilled discs that I want to replace my stocks with. Problem is, the screws that hold the discs to the hub assembly are stuck - with a vengeance. I've decided that the only way forward is to drill them out, destroying the hub thread and the screw at the same time. This means that on all 4 wheels, I've got to replace the hubs.:gride:

I've decided on Genuine Honda Replacements (GHR) for my front hubs at about $50 a pop. The GHR's for the rear are $100 a pop, which would make this a $300 buy. TAS Auto sells aftermarket ones for $50 instead of $100. What would you do?

Edit: Trust me when I say it: these screws are stuck hard. I've broken 3 screw extractors and two impact-screwdriver bits on just one wheel already. I've doused them in PB Blaster and tried every alternative but electro-ridiculous-spark-exploding-screw stuff, which I'd have to pay as much as the hubs for.

Last edited:

F23A1AT

Reaction score
What I did was take a flat screw driver and set it in the slot and tap it with a hammer to spin it around. Or if that fails you don't have to replace the hubs just drill the screws out then tap the holes, or you can omit the screws and rock out with the wheel holding it (rotor) on there. Option number three is what I did almost two years ago and I haven't had any problems.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
If you are careful you can drill them out without messing up the hub assembly. I know because mine were styck and I carefull drilled them out a tad bit and they ended up coming loose.

arise257

Reaction score
That is great news that I don't have to use those screws. I'm gonna pass on the hubs and drill these bad boys out this weekend. I've had these f-ing disks sitting around for months running through every available option, now I can INSTALL. Who knows, I might even write up a DIY if there's not one on here already.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Screwdriver%20Impact.jpg

+

bernzomatic_trigger_start_torch_f.jpg

arise257

Reaction score
he already removed the screws and f'ed up the threads :poke:

Well no, I've only removed one screw. It's the one I broke 3 extractors and 2 impact screwdrivers with. I did destroy the threads though.

And while I appreciate the humor of the acetalyne torch + impact driver images, I'm over trying to play nice with these screws. :rock: It's clobberin' time!

Back