Do we have a vented or un-vented gas cap???

001Stunna

Reaction score
After looking around for a bit i'm not 100% sure if our OEM caps are vented or un-vented.
Reason for asking is as my OEM cap broke(the top black part broke from the inner part) so i bought an aftermarket one a couple weeks ago. The person in the store told me i had a choice for vented or unvented lol so i just asked which one cost less and bought that (unvented) :skurred:

I'm now considering the idea though that maybe a vented one was needed and it may be one/the cause why i'm having a gas smell(with no leak) from the car(around charcoal canister) http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38012

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
This is a good question. I thought most car gas caps were vented, but when I go to fill up (which usually ends up being when I'm on E), there is always a bit of pressure released as I unscrew the cap slowly. I'll see if I can find anything about this in my Haynes manual...

Millz

Reaction score
This is a good question. I thought most car gas caps were vented, but when I go to fill up (which usually ends up being when I'm on E), there is always a bit of pressure released as I unscrew the cap slowly. I'll see if I can find anything about this in my Haynes manual...

same thing with mine when i open it, thought it was unvented too cause of this :hide:

redlinevtec

Reaction score
I'm in the posting mood this morning lol. Hey Stunna, my OEM gas caps rubber seal cracked. I wasn't hearing the "psssss" sound when I removed the gas cap because of the cracked seal. The vented gas cap your talking about has a push button to remove pressure (the little bit more expensive one you were talking about). You made the right decision for picking up the unvented cap, because our OEMS are unvented. I always heard the "pssss" sound before the seal cracked. Just thought I'd chime in. I picked up a $6.99 gas cap yesterday at the parts store. I wasn't going to pay $26 for an OEM cap.

Back