Do you guys report your mods to the insurance company?

ib042129

Reaction score
I'm renewing my insurance plicy, and I'm wondering if I should tell them about all the custom stuff I have. I mean they officially say that I should in order to get the parts covered, but they also insist on proofs of purchase and things like that.

Do you guys report that stuff?

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
depends on how expensive your stuff is....but you need to talk to you insurance agent cause they are all diff....my car is not running...nor insured right now...

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i dont think so because the insurance company doesn't handle "PARTS"... you can tell them if u have stuff of more value and they will recommend getting a higher rate for security but its not necessary... Insurance depends on what you value most... the car or the parts

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
I'm in the insurance (claims) industry and I probably wouldn't bother reporting that stuff unless I had a lot of money invested. Mods like a turbo would not be covered under the policy anyway since most of the damage to any engine parts would be considered "mechanical breakdown." (unless the car caught on fire.) If you got in a wreck and totalled the car, I'm sure you would want to be compensated for expensive mods like the turbo (so you might want to report it.) Keep in mind - insurance companies are not going to pay you what you paid for the mod. They will take the age of the item into account and depreciate it.
So here is what I would do:
If I had $1000 or less invested into mods - I wouldn't report any of that stuff
If I had somewhere over $2000 invested - I would ask my agent about it. if you have more than $2k invested and are reporting all of that stuff, don't be surprised if your insurance rates go up though. The insurance company will probably think you are at more risk of racing your car - especially if you report engine upgrades.
Between $1k & $2k - would be kind of a toss up as to whether I would report it or not.
Really.....It's all personal preference. If I were you, I would ask my agent. If the agent doesn't know, they need to talk to a claims person at the insurance company they are selling you a policy from to find out for sure on what would be covered and how it would be covered.
No insurance policy is exactly the same, and all are subject to interpretation. I am sure many personal auto policies specifically exclude "upgrades" to your vehicle. It also depends if you get a claims adjuster that knows what they are doing. If you have Progressive you might as well forget it. You would probably be better off adjusting your own claim than letting one of their worthless adjusters do it for you.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
It depends upon your insurance.
Some agencies will replace the damaged part (because of an accident) whether OEM or aftermarket.
My Grand Cherokee was recently in a car accident.
The result was a cracked front bumper and my Brush guard (which is aftermarket) was bent to fawk.
My insurance adjuster viewed the damage and it's in teh body shop now being repaired. This includes replacing the brush guard.
No questions asked

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i reported my mods to my insurance.... they insure anything cosmetic, but nothing mechanical as 00AccordLX5spd stated....the reported mods basically increases the value of the car, thus the adjusted insurance premium

00AccordLX5spd

Reaction score
i reported my mods to my insurance.... they insure anything cosmetic, but nothing mechanical as 00AccordLX5spd stated....the reported mods basically increases the value of the car, thus the adjusted insurance premium

Exactly. And as BN said, it all depends on the company. Sometimes they will replace parts with OEM, sometimes aftermarket. If aftermarket won't fit right or is not available, they'll go with OEM. Their goal is to get your car back as closely as possible to pre-loss condition. Some people raise hell about aftermarket parts, but aftermarket are generally as good. if they don't fit right or look like crap, you can raise hell with your insurance company and make them make it look right haha.

ib042129

Reaction score
Well. I don't actually have complete insurance on my car.
Just liability and comprehensive.

So if the accident is my fault, I pay for my repairs.
I'm fine with that.

And as I understand, if the accident is the other guys fault, they
have to repair the car completely to what it was before. Right?

What I care about is getting my money back if my car gets stolen,
or a tree falls on it. That's why I got comprehensive. And at this
point, my car has way more than 2k spent on it in mods.

So I should just call my insurance and ask them about it I guess.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
No, i do not. I think the only way i would is if i had like a very modded hot rod or something where it's almost a totally different car than stock. I have had friends with insurance claims where either what they had got replaced exactly, or they got the price for OEM which was cheaper than what they had on. So, it never seemed worth it to me.

Back