Dose anyone know what is wrong with my car?

Topher88

Reaction score
Ok so i have a '98 V6 and when i turn it on during a cold morning the cluster kinda goes crazy.. The revs speedo will shoot up along with the speedometer without me touching the gas. Also when i begin to accelerate my car will not die but it looses all power for a few seconds but then it comes right back... so ya if anyone has an idea let me know :) P.S. i have a cold air intake and it is pretty wet so could water over time have anything to do with it? idk just throwing out stuff. Thanks for the impute guys!

finch13

Reaction score
Does the engine actually rev or only the gauges move? Only 2 things come to mind: gauge cluster problem or ECU problem. You could try taking out the cluster and making sure the connectors are fully seated and clipped in. Don't think it will help though, an intermittent connection would cause the gauges to stop working, but a voltage spike would cause them to act erratic.

Topher88

Reaction score
ya but i think the gauges would cause the car to loose all power when i start to drive.. ECU then?

finch13

Reaction score
No... a problem with the gauges wouldn't hurt anything, they don't do anything except display info.

ECU's do go bad, not that often, but it's possible. I wouldn't just blindly purchase one though.

If the engine is revving when the gauges move, then maybe a freak accident wiped out both sensors driving those gauges. So... sensor, wiring, ECU, gauges. That's where the problem lies.

Back