Dual Exhaust = Bad o2 sensor + CAT?

xtinaccord

Reaction score
I just bought a Greddy dual exhaust system in April of this year, and a few months after the purchase, my CEL went on. I got it checked out twice. First time was related to the O2 sensor, the second time, a few months later, was the CAT. Meineke says the rattling noise that I get every time I press the gas was the bad CAT.

I'm assuming that my o2 sensor and catalytic converter went bad because of the installation of my exhaust. I've read recently that it is "virtually impossible to have a true dual exhaust when the vehicle has two o2 sensors". Please correct me if this is wrong.

If the result of a bad o2 sensor and CAT is due to the dual exhaust, getting a new o2 sensor and CAT probably won't be a good idea because these two will just go bad again, wouldn't it? Or did these two go bad because it is simply old?

A friend suggested a test pipe since Florida has no emission laws. Is there another solution to this (that would help get rid of my CEL and not cause further problems in the near future)?

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
since florida has no emission laws go with the test pipe....they have alot of aftermarket cats and test pipes that would allow ur dual exhaust to function and then jus manually clear the CEL or u can google defouler

Sonnick

Reaction score
Eh. Test pipes pollute a lot more and give you about 2hp. Not worth it.

xtinaccord

Reaction score
yeah. i really didn't wanna go for the test pipe, emission law or not. i was considering the magnaflow cat since it's a lot cheaper than oem and functions the same. what about the o2 sensor? replace that too?

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
yea id rock the magnaflow...im thinkin about gettin one with a new exhaust sysytem after i get my car to pass smog and get new tags...

ccordex00

Reaction score
wow...that sound weird...a exhaust that gives you all that problem...I say don't get the test pipe, maybe try some rt cat or search around for another options besides going with striaght pipe

xtinaccord

Reaction score
yeah i agree, ccordex00. no straight piping :) i'll look around for an o2 sensor and cat

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
check if everything is torqued correctly....sounds like u have an exhaust leak somewhere, which is frying up ur o2 sensors

xtinaccord

Reaction score
how would i know if there's an exhaust leak? is there a visual way of checking this?

Back