E-brake handle 'springs' back up after releasing

ckydmk

Reaction score
01 coupe. I release the e-brake and the handle comes back up to just below the first catch point. Yesterday, I parked the car after coming home (10 minutes) and the right rear disc was too hot to touch yet today after an hour drive the disc was hot but not nearly as bad. I thought it was a seized caliper but I took off the wheel and it spun freely. E-brake cable?

l1nd3n

Reaction score
You could try an adjustment to snug up the parking brake setup.
Well, if it's really easy to pull up you may have broken or severly streched the cable.
Yeah, it seems more likely the cable is streched, just try doing an adjustment.
Pull panel out of the bottom of the console and start there.
Also, you shouldn't have to take the wheels off, just jack the car up properly, slide under and look at the parking break setup. Make sure something isn't holding them or keeping them engaged.

ckydmk

Reaction score
The cables look fine, no kinks or noticeable breaks. I took the wheel of because I did think that the caliper was seized and ended up replacing the pads because I had some kicking around. When I did have the car jacked up, the ebrake problem went away but came back when I started driving it again. Also the when setting the e-brake the handle doesnt feel right. The more I think about it, I lean to a cable problem.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Jack car
Have someone spin wheel while someone pulls ebrake

Wheel stops?
Prorblem under armrest.

Wheel free?
More steps.

Back