ecu/brain box question for those who have swapped tranny

el gallo

Reaction score
so i am about to embark on the auto to manual transmission swap and was looking for those that have experience in this endeavor. so i have found a reasonable donor for the swap but i have one question that i would like some help with.

i have the ulev version motor and swapping in an lev version tanny, i can get my hands on a lev ecu or a standard ecu, so which one would be a better choice for now. i know how to port heads so was going to do that at a later point, and also to upgrade the intake header exhaust.

i have tried to use search but i might be inputting the wrong words or terms, any guidance or link to this information.

Thanks in advance.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
it will work, maybe not perfect. Minor changes in fuel, ignition, RPM limits, VTEC point, etc...

james'99

Reaction score
I think swapping the ECU without swapping the O2 sensors may be an issue. The two cars use different sensors and will throw codes. I have not personally embarked on it but I do know that Accords were offered with ULEV and manual from 00-02, but not in '98 or '99 so you can get an ECU from those late models if you want the correct one.

ovoxocali

Reaction score
b2326af68c15af326fd06675dce3b88a.jpg
is this fixable ?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
probly not, a hole in the block was likely punched by the connecting rod. That usually messes up the crankshaft, and other crap inside the engine.

Patching the hole would be easy though.

james'99

Reaction score
probly not, a hole in the block was likely punched by the connecting rod. That usually messes up the crankshaft, and other crap inside the engine.

Patching the hole would be easy though.

Can't speak for the patching but xci knows his stuff so I'll take that!

At the same time though, these engines can be found so cheap these days that it probably isn't worth the time.

EDIT: I was thinking to myself. el gallo has his moms car. How's there a hole in the block that he found while swapping trannies? Then I scrolled up and found that it was someone else! ovoxocali, you'll probably receive more relevant help by creating a new thread.

Last edited:

el gallo

Reaction score
its cool, thanks to xci.ed6 and james'99 i have resolved my issue this thread can be closed/erased

Back