Engine doesnt respond to throttle input. Bogs down and dies

Meant2Live

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 01 accord 4cylinder MT, run around 70k miles. ive been facing this problem since the past 6months, because of which the car wasn't used. A week back I started trying to fix it.

Here's the problem. Everyday on a cold start, it takes about 3 cranks for the first start. And then the engine bogs down and stalls as though its starving from fuel.
After a few starts, it starts idling fine. But on the slightest tap of the throttle, the rpms drop. But on releasing throttle, the rpms rise a few 100rpms. WOT or part throttle starves the engine completely and stalls the engine.

I've changed the spark plugs, fuel filter, pimary O2 sensor, cleaned up the injectors and the problem is still the same. There is pressure in the fuel rail. All 4 plugs are getting the spark. And sufficient fuel in the tank. And fluid levels are fine.
There is no CEL and no codes pop up.
I've had a HKS mushroom filter on the car upto the point that the problem started, now its been replace by the stock filter box.
But the peculiar thing is that once the engine is warm, say after idling for 15-20mins, the engine rpms rise gradually when throttle is slightly pressed, but WOT and part throttle are still the same.(Only when the engine is warm, when its cold, the rpms don't evn rise)

I believe its a sensor at fault here but I'm unable to pinpoint which one, or where it is located. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Oops missed that. Always worth checkin the IACV and see if your cat is clogged.

Meant2Live

Reaction score
The exhaust after the headers was disconnected and the problem stlll existed. EGR and IACV wil be looked into tomorrow. Anything else I should look for?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
EGR it would get too much air, die at idle.

IACV it would by stuck/sticky so it would idle high or probably low and stall.

You minus whale check em oot. All vac hoses too.

But it does sound like a exhaust, usually cat but could be manifold.

EastSideRide

Reaction score
It could be the ignition switch. Cheap and easy to fix. Just sounds somewhat like mine did before I changed it out

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Back