Engine Help

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score
While I was cruising on the freeway my engine would cut off. When that happens, my tacho, speedo, gas/temp gauge would all go down and my whole cluster would light up all sorts of things. It happens for a quick second and it would turn right back up by itself. Idk what the problem is..any ideas guys? Much help appreciated.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Ign switch, fuel relay, could be a few other things; look in the DIY section for the switch replacement thread It'll ;ist the symptoms and the steps to fix it.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
With all the cluster lights going haywire that could very well mean the alternator

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score
I had my alternator checked about a week ago and it's perfectly fine. I'll do some more research into this. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

jwong512

Reaction score
Scan your car with an OBD2 scanner to make sure there aren't any hidden or pending codes.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
My car had the same symptoms. Turns out it was due for the ignition switch recall. Contact your local dealer and give them your VIN#.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
check the terminal on your alternator. could just be that the wire isn't connected anymore. mine did that and i soldered it back and it works perfect. just check that terminal covered in the rubber boot.

Back